Accounting is the art and practice of measuring, interpreting, and communicating information
about financial activity. The skill set that students acquire in the study of accounting
at Southeast Missouri State University is both powerful and flexible, providing students
with a wide variety of employment options upon graduation in both the private and
The Accounting Program at Southeast has a long track record of training the best and
brightest for successful careers in the accounting and finance fields. Southeast Accounting
students distinguish themselves both in the classroom and in their record of professional
success in the field. Please visit our links to the left of this page to take you
to information for prospective students and about faculty, curriculum, careers, student
organizations, scholarships, alumni and partners, and departmental newsletter updates
of current events.
In a nutshell, here are some reasons you should consider obtaining your Accounting
education at Southeast:
- Highly qualified, award winning faculty instruction
- Small class size
- State-of-the art curriculum focused on student success at professional examinations.
- Curriculum guidance from an advisory board (the “Partners in Progress”) comprised
of partners from successful St. Louis and regional accounting firms.
- CPA exam pass rates place Southeast among the top three state universities in Missouri,
well above the national average.
- Employers of Southeast Missouri State University accounting graduates include, among
others, “Big 4” accounting firms (Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu, Ernst and Young, KPMG,
and PricewaterhouseCoopers) and regional CPA firms, the Missouri State Auditor’s Office,
the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Missouri Department of Revenue, the State
Department of Economic Development, school districts, community colleges and universities,
financial institutions, and international firms such as TG(USA), Nordenia USA, Lee-Rowan,
Anheuser Busch, Monsanto, Southwestern Bell, Ralston Purina, Boeing, Maritz Inc.,
A.G. Edwards, Mallinckrodt, Purina Mills and numerous other financial, industrial
and not-for-profit organizations.
- Outstanding opportunities for internship experiences, both regionally and in the St.
- Significant opportunities for scholarship support.
- Excellent facilities. The Harrison College of Business is housed in Robert A. Dempster
Hall, a state-of-the-art facility designed to promote student learning and professional
success. The building contains a rich array of hands-on business and instructional
technology, all digitally connected to the world.
- The college is accredited by AACSB-International (Association to Advance Collegiate
Schools of Business), placing it in the top 25 percent of business programs nationally.
- The current job placement rate among business majors is currently 99 percent within
a year of graduation.
- The Harrison College of Business offers a 33-credit hour Master of Business Administration
(M.B.A.) degree program. Southeast’s B.S.B.A. degree program provides the prerequisites
for admission into the M.B.A. program. The M.B.A. program also offers an accounting
option, which is designed to provide advanced technical skills and strengthen CPA