Accounting is the art and practice of measuring, interpreting, and communicating information about financial activity. The skill set that students acquire in the study of accounting at Southeast Missouri State University is both powerful and flexible, providing students with a wide variety of employment options upon graduation in both the private and public sector.
The Accounting Program at Southeast has a long track record of training the best and brightest for successful careers in the accounting and finance fields. Southeast Accounting students distinguish themselves both in the classroom and in their record of professional success in the field. Please visit our links to the left of this page to take you to information for prospective students and about faculty, curriculum, careers, student organizations, scholarships, alumni and partners, and departmental newsletter updates of current events.
In a nutshell, here are some reasons you should consider obtaining your Accounting education at Southeast:
- Highly qualified, award winning faculty instruction
- Small class size
- State-of-the art curriculum focused on student success at professional examinations.
- Curriculum guidance from an advisory board (the “Partners in Progress”) comprised of partners from successful St. Louis and regional accounting firms.
- CPA exam pass rates place Southeast among the top three state universities in Missouri, well above the national average.
- Employers of Southeast Missouri State University accounting graduates include, among others, “Big 4” accounting firms (Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu, Ernst and Young, KPMG, and PricewaterhouseCoopers) and regional CPA firms, the Missouri State Auditor’s Office, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Missouri Department of Revenue, the State Department of Economic Development, school districts, community colleges and universities, financial institutions, and international firms such as TG(USA), Nordenia USA, Lee-Rowan, Anheuser Busch, Monsanto, Southwestern Bell, Ralston Purina, Boeing, Maritz Inc., A.G. Edwards, Mallinckrodt, Purina Mills and numerous other financial, industrial and not-for-profit organizations.
- Outstanding opportunities for internship experiences, both regionally and in the St. Louis area.
- Significant opportunities for scholarship support.
- Excellent facilities. The Harrison College of Business is housed in Robert A. Dempster Hall, a state-of-the-art facility designed to promote student learning and professional success. The building contains a rich array of hands-on business and instructional technology, all digitally connected to the world.
- The college is accredited by AACSB-International (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business), placing it in the top 25 percent of business programs nationally.
- The current job placement rate among business majors is currently 99 percent within a year of graduation.
- The Harrison College of Business offers a 33-credit hour Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) degree program. Southeast’s B.S.B.A. degree program provides the prerequisites for admission into the M.B.A. program. The M.B.A. program also offers an accounting option, which is designed to provide advanced technical skills and strengthen CPA exam preparation.