Thank you for considering Southeast!
We highly encourage you to submit your application for admission by December 1 to take advantage of scholarships and early enrollment opportunities. If you are planning to live on campus, you will want to submit your admission application, application fee and test scores by November 1, as December 1 is also the first Priority Housing Deadline.
Applications will be accepted after the below dates. To be considered for need-based financial aid, you must first be admitted to Southeast. Upon admission, the financial aid award process can take four to six weeks to complete, provided your FAFSA has been submitted to Southeast.
- Fall – July 1
- Spring – November 1
- Summer – May 1
GED Admission Criteria
GED recipients over the age of 21 may be admitted with a GED score of 2500 or higher. Students who do not meet these guidelines will be restricted to a Southeast Regional Campus in Kennett, Malden, Sikeston or Perryville. Restricted students at Kennett, Malden and Sikeston may utilize the fall semester Step Up to Southeast Program to gain full-time enrollment.
GED recipients under the age of 21 must have a GED score of 2500 or higher and an ACT of 18 or higher. Students with GED scores are not allowed to enroll in classes until after the date of their high school graduation has passed.
Note: Students completing the Missouri Options Program must have a score of 500 on each of the five sections of the GED and an ACT of 18 or higher. An official high school transcript and copy of GED scores must be submitted.
Students who may not be ready for Southeast’s academic challenge are given several options to consider, including possible transfer to Southeast in the future.
GED Student Steps to Enrollment
Step 1: Apply for Admission
- Submit the Application for Admission and pay the non-refundable $30 application fee.
- If you received your GED in Missouri, the Office of Admissions has access to Missouri GED test results through the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education. If you received your GED outside of Missouri, submit a copy of your official GED test results to the Office of Admissions.
Send documents to:
Office of Admissions
Southeast Missouri State University
One University Plaza
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701-4799
Note: Please allow 7-10 days for application processing and transcript evaluation. Admission to the University does not indicate admission to programs that have additional admission criteria and/or specific prerequisites.
Step 2: Submit Housing Contract
- Upon admission to Southeast, you may complete the Contract for University Housing online via the My Southeast admitted student portal. A $150 housing deposit is required at the time of submission.
- All full-time Southeast students live on campus for the first two years unless exemption criteria are met.
- Complete your Housing Contract as soon as possible.
- December 1 – Recommended Housing Contract Completion Date
- The University will use your preference information to make room and roommate assignments in July.
Step 3: Register for First STEP Orientation
- First STEP orientation is a one-day program required for all beginning freshmen. During First STEP, you will learn about class offerings, register for classes and learn about financial aid, housing and student life at Southeast.
- First STEP information will be included in your admission packet. You may reserve your date by registering online.
Step 4: Apply for Financial Aid
- You and a parent (if you are a dependent student) should apply for a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) PIN. The PIN serves as your identifier to let you electronically submit your FAFSA.
- Obtain a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on the Web Worksheet then complete the FAFSA online.
- March 1 is Southeast’s Priority Financial Aid Deadline. Applying for financial aid by March 1 will improve your chances of receiving federal and institutional grant funds, low-interest loans, Federal Work Study, and financial aid from the state of Missouri.
- Financial aid awards will be emailed to your Southeast email account in April.
Information for Veterans
Visit our Veterans and Military Services site for information on using veterans benefits.
Additional Online Resources for GED Students
Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) GED website - http://dese.mo.gov/divcareered/ged_about.htm.
Southeast Missouri State University Testing Services GED registration information website - http://www.semo.edu/testing/costs_ged.htm.