Southeast Missouri State University

November 30, 2006

AQIP Steering Committee Meeting - UC Board Room

In Attendance: Rick Althaus, Jim Ermatinger, Christina Frazier, Allen Gathman, Dennis Holt, Carolyn Rainey, Bruce Skinner, David Starrett, Jane Stephens, Susan Swartwout

Absent: Christopher Davis, Adam Hanna, Crystal Kaufman, Alissa Vandeven

Recorder: Christie Renner

Update on Strategy Forum visit

A. Gathman gave an update on the visit to the Strategy Form held November 14-17 at the Hickory Ridge Marriott, in Lisle, Illinois. Twelve institutions participated, the majority were two-year colleges. Participants reviewed Action Projects. The Actions Projects Southeast submitted, much time was spent on AP- Defining Institutional Indicators for Being a University of First Choice. After discussion it was determined that the Action Project lacked definition. The team split the project into two parts with focus on:
1. issue of communication (failures of communication perceived)
2. defining indicators of school of first choice for stakeholders – faculty, staff, and students

New Action Projects will be written for these two topics.

Series of Forums with Faculty, Professional Staff, CTS and Students

A series of forums will be held in early spring with faculty, professional staff, CTS, and students. A short list of Action Projects will be presented. Attendees will vote on the top three Action Projects. Deans will schedule a college meeting during Common Hour on one of the following days: January 31, February 7, February 14, and February 21. A Brown Bag luncheon will be held for CTS and Professional Staff. A student meeting will also be arranged. The President and Provost will not attend the meetings.

Action Projects discussed to present to the groups are:

  • Communication - Information Distribution
  • Defining Institutional Indicators of School of First Choice
  • Academic Enhancement Program
  • Completing a Successful Inaugural Year for School of Visual and Performing Arts
  • Web and Distance Evaluation
  • Improving Student Advising

Discussion was held on how to present the Action Projects at the open forums. An explanation of the AQIP process will be presented. Included in the opening remarks will be the importance of having short-term and long-term projects. Also, one of the Action Projects must focus on student learning. The committee decided it was important to have the Action Projects available before the meetings. Discussion was held on sending a letter to each college including the agenda and the Action Projects. It was suggested to provide copies at all the departmental offices as well as post the Action Projects on the web.

It was suggested to reframe the River Campus Action Project. Discussion followed on then how the River Campus project can be used as a model to evaluate processes and assess what works and what doesn’t.

Other Discussion

It was discussed to submit three campus-wide Action Projects to AQIP. The steering committee will take the highest ranked Action Project focusing on student learning and the next two highest ranked Action Projects from the open forums. The deadline to turn in Action Projects is March 1. Discussions held at the Strategy Forum included having departmental projects, called “QIP” projects, running simultaneously with the Action Projects.

D. Starrett reviewed his notes on tasks that were discussed at the Strategy Forum for the steering committee (SC) to work on. Those tasks include:
1. The SC will take budget requests to the Budget Review Committee
2. A SC member(s) will serve as a liaison with each Action Project team
3. The SC will communicate with the Planning Committee
4. QIP projects will report back to the SC
5. The AQIP Steering Committee needs to be set up as a University standing committee
6. The SC will maintain a webpage on the AQIP process
7. The SC will oversee writing the Systems Portfolio
8. SC can begin writing the “C” and “P” for all categories in the Systems Portfolio and then come back and write the “R” and “I”.

The deadline to have the webpage posted is April 15. It was stated that the Systems Portfolio deadline is due a year sooner. C. Frazier and D. Starrett will work on a timeline with the exact deadline dates.

Next Meeting

The next meeting will be Thursday, December 7, at 4:00 pm. The purpose of the meeting will be to review the descriptions of the Action Projects; discuss the meetings to be held in the spring; and review the timeline. The writing subcommittee will make needed changes to the Actions Projects and rewrite the “Defining Institutional Indicators of University of First Choice”. It will be presented into two Action Projects. D. Holt will draft the Action Project focusing on improving student advising.

APPLY VISIT DONATE