Southeast Missouri State University

April 18, 2007

AQIP Steering Committee - UC Riverboat Room

In Attendance: Co-Chairs Dennis Holt and Jane Stephens, Rick Althaus, James Ermatinger, Christina Frazier, Allen Gathman, Crystal Kaufman, Carolyn Rainey, David Starrett, Susan Swartwout

Absent: Chris Davis, Adam Hanna, Bruce Skinner and Alissa Vandeven

Recorder: Christie Renner

Action Project Teams

Discussion was held on drafting a charge and membership for each Action Project Team. The committee discussed having a member of the AQIP Steering Committee serve as a liaison to each Action Project Team. The liaison would get updates from the AP team and report back to the steering committee.

Strengthening Faculty-Based Academic Advising – Phase 1

This Action Project focuses on undergraduate advising. The title of the Action Project should be changed to “Strengthening Faculty-Based Undergraduate Academic Advising – Part 1”. The Academic Advising Council membership has been restructured to include one faculty member from each college. D. Starrett recommended adding the advisor from Online Services to the council. A student representative should also serve on the council. It was determined that Provost Stephens and Dennis Holt would serve as the AQIP Steering Committee liaison(s) to this AP Team. The chair of the council should meet occasionally with the liaisons. The chair should be asked to recommend individual(s) to meet with the steering committee and brainstorm.

Defining Indicators of Being a University of First Choice

Discussion was held on identifying a team for this Action Project. It was suggested to have three subgroups – Student Government (students), Faculty Senate (faculty), Professional Staff Council and CTS (administrative, professional, clerical, technical and service staff) - then coordinate the groups together. It was also suggested to have discussions over the summer with the different groups at their retreats (Executive Staff, Administrative Council, Deans, Chairs, and VP directors). Ideas should not be distinguished from what group they came from. A comment was made that all faculty should be given an opportunity to provide feedback, not just from Faculty Senate. D. Holt recommended discussing this Action Project with Administrative Council and asking for their feedback (all groups are represented). The AQIP Steering Committee will coordinate the Action Project Team.

Improving Information Distribution and Communication

Discussion was held on identifying a team for this Action Project. It was suggested to tap into some individuals on campus who have an expertise in corporate communication. It was determined that an audit on the information flow on campus needs to be conducted first. D. Holt recommended discussing this Action Project with Administrative Council to ask for their feedback and approach.

Systems Portfolio

A suggestion was made to have one team be a “writing team” and three other teams working with each of the Action Project Teams. Another suggestion was made to include other University faculty and staff, depending on the expertise that is needed while brainstorming. It was recommended to use a process similar to writing the application but also involve the campus community in brainstorming.

The Systems Portfolio will be due May of 2010. The committee discussed the following timeline for completing the Systems Portfolio:

Planning and sketching 2008 – start next AY2008 and fill in
Revise 2009 – refine the document
Final review 2010 – starting fall 2009 have a couple reviewers look at document for comments
(6 months before due – finish portfolio and identify all reviewers on campus to set up a Review Team)

The group also needs to start thinking about where to find data that will be needed.

It was determined that the committee should schedule a series of planning meetings during the summer to identify how to approach writing the Systems Portfolio and identify different individuals to brainstorm with. D. Holt has copy of SIU-Edwardsville Systems Portfolio and will get copies to the committee so members can get a feel as to what needs to be done.

Provost Stephens recommended processing a stipend of $50 per meeting for those faculty members of the AQIP Steering Committee who are not scheduled to be on campus outside of their classes this summer. The total stipend for the summer would be $250. The meetings during the summer are scheduled as follows (updated 4/19/07):

Thursday, May 24, 2:00 – 4:00 pm
Tuesday, June 12, 2:00 – 4:00 pm
Tuesday, June 26, 2:00 – 4:00 pm
Tuesday, July 10, 2:00 – 4:00 pm
Tuesday, July 24, 2:00 – 4:00 pm

Next meeting

The next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, May 24, at 2:00 pm.

APPLY VISIT DONATE