Southeast Missouri State University

July 24, 2007

AQIP Steering Committee Meeting - UC Board Room

In Attendance: Co-Chair D. Holt, R. Althaus, C. Frazier, C. Rainey, D. Starrett, S. Swartwout, A. Vandeven

Absent: M. Clifton, G. Gasser, A. Gathman, C. Kaufman, J. Stephens

Recorder: Christie Renner

Action Project Teams

Action Projects 1 & 2 (AP1 – Communication and AP2 University of 1st Choice) were discussed at Administrative Council. The teams will consist of representatives from Professional Staff Council, CTS Council, Dean’s Council, Faculty Senate, Chairperson’s Forum, University Relations and Student Government, as well as the Director of Strategic Communication & Marketing. Discussion was held on having individuals (e.g. faculty) who specialize in corporate communications to serve on AP1 Team (Communication). A few members of the steering committee will serve as liaisons for the Action Project Teams. Once the teams are formed, the AQIP Steering Committee will meet with each team to go over the charge and timeline.

Systems Portfolio

The committee continued brainstorming on the category processes questions.

Category 6 – Supporting Institutional Operations
Below are the comments from the committee as they brainstormed on the “processes” questions for this category.

6P1 – How do you identify the support service needs of your students?

  • Student Government
  • Testing for academic support (placement) (e.g., ACT)
  • AEP
  • Analysis of high school performance
  • Mid-term grades
  • How to identify learning disabilities
  • Students self-identify
  • Faculty
  • Ask Admissions if we ask new students if they have special needs
  • University Studies advising for undeclared
  • Career Linkages
  • Counseling and Disability Services
  • Ask Larry Baker and Trent Ball how minorities needs are identified
  • Residence Hall advisors
  • “How” not systematic, just vigilant
  • Faculty awareness
  • Athletics – student success centers
  • Technology – constantly gauging needs, meet twice a year w/ Student Government
  • Residence Life Council and Food Services Council
  • Student Government, if budget needs have a seat at BRC
  • Recreation Services – meets regularly w/students
  • Registrar – has satisfaction survey w/graduation papers
  • Suggestion - categorize academic support services, non-academic support services
  • Kent Library has usage report

6P2 – How do you identify the administrative support service needs of your faculty, staff, and administrators, as well as other key stakeholder groups (eg., Oversight board, alumni, etc.)?

  • Budget Review process
  • Facilities Management – walk thru of custodial services in buildings
  • Information Technology - walk thru evaluations
  • Campus Landscape Plan – focus groups
  • On faculty side - administrative assistant support
  • There is a Budget Review process, but outcome contingent on funding
  • Benefits (individual)
  • Employee councils (staff)
  • Benefits Review Subcommittee
  • Food Service (outsource)
  • Other key stakeholders- support position for Board of Regents, Alumni Council, Community advisory groups (Polytech, College of Business, Career Linkages)
  • President’s group

-Minority advisory group (President’s Commission on minority affairs)
-Missouri Research Board (go w/ Category 8 or 9) ???
-ASK PRESIDENT

  • Chamber of Commerce
  • MO Consortium
  • Some of the above comments may need to go in Category 9

6P3 – How are your key student and administrative support service processes managed on a day-to-day basis to ensure that they are meeting the needs of students and key stakeholder groups? How do you document your processes and encourage knowledge sharing, innovation and empowerment?

Part 1

  • Normal change of command, somebody takes responsibility
  • Reports given to VPs (give example)

Part 2

  • QUIP groups (eg., transcript) to evaluate a process and recommend changes
  • Performance Evaluation Ad Hoc committee, Scholarship Ad Hoc committee

-If rise to this level, report to bigger bodies - Administrative Council, there are numerous examples

  • Faculty Roles and Rewards???
  • Tri-Chair Insurance Committee
  • Reports that are given back to Academic Council, Administrative Council, or appropriate level
  • Promote academic communication
  • Appoint groups and as needs come up making sure it has appropriate representation and report back to appropriate level

6P4 – How do your key student and administrative support areas use information and results to improve their services?

  • Go back to specific examples (e.g., Student Success)
  • Ask Student Development

6P5 – What measures of student and administrative support service processes do you collect and analyze regularly?

  • Registrar’s Office has surveys
  • Facilities Management – regular method of evaluating custodial, turn around time on work orders
  • Counseling and Disability Services – usage data
  • Usage data and opinion – academic advising
  • Student Financial Services – goal to keep students in school who will be dropped because of financial reasons – track calls
  • Collect information, not sure on analyzing
  • Information Technology Help Desk has regular logging system for all calls
  • Printer paper analysis few years ago
  • Focus groups on Banner projects
  • HR collects exit University surveys (does not analyze at this time)

6 – Results

  • NSSE ?? – measure level of engagement
  • Graduate surveys
  • Can show students like food service better now

Category 7 – Measuring Effectiveness

7P1 – How do you select, manage, and use information and data (including current performance information) to support student learning (Category 1), overall institutional objectives (Category 2), strategies (Category 8), and improvement (all Categories) efforts?

  • Assessment projects
  • Phase I, II, III review process
  • Action Project 2 - University of 1st Choice - will look at key institutional measures for tracking effectiveness
  • Improvement efforts localized (targeted)
  • Department on a page (key perf. indicators)
  • Identifying high-risk students (AEP)
  • Track number students who graduate

7P2 – How do you determine the needs of your departments and units related to information and data collection, storage, and accessibility? How are these needs met?

  • IR surveys regularly
  • Asked deans what kind of information needed
  • People identify and contact people w/ info

7P3 – How do you determine the needs and priorities for comparative information and data? What are your criteria and methods for selecting sources of comparative information and data within and outside the education community?

  • Other OVC schools
  • Used to have set of benchmark institutions
  • NSSE, IDEA
  • HR salary system (CUPA survey)
  • Not a tremendous amount of comparative data
  • Department of Higher Education website – has a lot of data/information
  • Delaware Group (academic side)
  • Member of CSRDE – Consortium for Student Retention Data Exchange
  • Part 2 - Recognized data source??

7P4 – How, at the institutional level, do you analyze information and data regarding overall performance? How is this analysis shared throughout the organization?

7P5 – How do you ensure department and unit analysis of information and data aligns with your institutional goals regarding student learning (Category 1) and overall institutional objectives? How is this analysis shared?

Combine 7P4 & 7P5

  • This is an area for improvement
  • We don’t have anything
  • President’s State of University Address - list of accomplishment and goals (shared with faculty and staff)
  • Judging effectiveness of University
  • Action Project formed
  • Based on Strategic Plan
  • TBD- To be determined

7P6 – How do you ensure the effectiveness of your information system(s) and related processes?

  • Doing security audit this year (Division AEM)
  • Dennis Holt

7P7 – What measures of the effectiveness of your system for measuring effectiveness do you collect and analyze regularly?

  • Overall assessment summary
  • Academic assessment process – Academic Assessment Committee
  • Program Review (Phase I, II, III)
  • Have specific examples for specific projects
  • No systematic way across board

D. Holt will talk to J. Stephens about meeting with Executive Staff to discuss the progress of the committee. There are some questions that the committee would like to talk to Executive Staff about.

APPLY VISIT DONATE