For formal admittance into the Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance degree program, each
student must take part in one of the scheduled BFA auditions. Students are accepted
into the BFA Dance program on a rolling basis and are notified of acceptance within
two weeks of their audition date.
The Bachelor of Arts in Dance degree does not require a formal audition for program
admittance, however, students are strongly advised to participate in the audition
process to be eligible for dance scholarships and to be assessed for technique level
The audition consists of a 2 hour dance master class incorporating ballet, modern
and jazz dance techniques, presentation of a dance solo, and an interview with the
faculty. The interview will include a brief discussion of your technical training,
your previous dance experience and your goals regarding the discipline of dance.
Students will be evaluated by members of the dance faculty on the basis of previous
technical training, body alignment, movement mechanics, expressivity and individual
2017-18 On-Campus Auditions
(for Fall 2018 BFA Program Admission and Scholarship Awards)
Friday, October 13, 2017
Saturday, November 18, 2017
Saturday, February 24, 2018
Friday, April 13, 2018 (BFA Program Admittance only; no scholarship considerations)
2017-18 Regional Auditions
(for Fall 2018 BFA Program Admission and Scholarship Awards
February 28 – March 4, 2018 – National High School Dance Festival, Pittsburgh, PA
- Click on the Application Button below and complete the application indicating your
preferred audition date and dance degree program.
- You will receive a Confirmation of Registration email within one week of completing
your application. The email will include any necessary additional information about
- Apply to Southeast Missouri State University. The dance program is unable to make
any scholarship awards until students have been formally admitted to the university.
- Arrive at least 30 minutes before the audition to sign-in, change, and warm up.
- Bring the following materials to the audition:
- 5”x7” photograph with your name on the back. This does not need to be a formal headshot.
The photo is used as a reference for the faculty when reviewing applicants.
- A dance résumé
- Prepare a 90 second solo in the dance form of your choice. The solo can feature the
choreography of the applicant or another choreographer and should highlight the dancer’s
technical strengths and performance ability.
- Bring music for your solo (ie: iPod, iPhone, MP3 player with a CD as a backup). Remove
your passcode from your phone before the audition.
- Attire Requirements:
- Women: solid-colored leotard, pink or black tights, ballet and jazz shoes. If you
are comfortable en pointe, please bring your shoes should you be requested to wear
- Men: solid-colored tank top or leotard, black tights/bike shorts, ballet and jazz
- No loose-fitting warm-ups, skirts or jewelry. Hair must be secured away from face
- Auditions occur at the Holland School of Visual and Performing Arts
518 S. Fountain
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
An in-person audition is preferred but should a student not be able to attend any
of the scheduled auditions, he/she may email the Coordinator of Dance, Hilary Peterson
(email@example.com) to request either an alternate on-campus audition date or submission
of a video audition.
Video Submission Guidelines:
- Complete the Audition Application selecting “Other” from the list of audition dates.
- Submit audition video via email to Hilary Peterson, Coordinator of Dance
- The audition must be submitted via a link to YouTube, Dropbox, Vimeo etc.
- Attach a dance resume and 5x7 photograph to the email
- Video must include the following:
- Brief introduction stating your name and your interest in The Conservatory Dance Program
- Short Ballet Barre: pliés, battement tendu/dégagé, ronde de jambe, frappé, grande battement
- Ballet Center Work: tendu with port de bras, adagio, waltz combination with pirouettes, petite allégro and grand allégro
- Pointe work (if applicable)
- One phrase (at least 16 counts) of modern dance material
- One phrase (at least 16 counts) of jazz dance material
- Choreographed solo 90 seconds in length
- NO STAGE PERFORMANCE VIDEOS WILL BE ACCEPTED
- Your recorded audition MUST include all three technique styles; ballet, modern and
- Dancers must wear the same dance attire throughout the video
- Video audition submissions must be received by March 1 for scholarship consideration
- It is not always possible for faculty to render an admissions decision from a recording.
You may be requested to visit campus for subsequent activities such as an interview
or class with our faculty.