Basic directions for completing an electronic application for license in some area
- Please follow this link for step-by-step instructions for completing your application: http://dese.mo.gov/educator-quality/certification/educator-certification-help-guide. If you have questions regarding this on-line process, please contact DESE at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 573-751-0051.
- If you have already created a User ID and password (such as when you applied for your
substitute teacher certificate), you will not need to request another one; you will
just need to complete the online application for the appropriate licensure area.
- If you have a previous bachelor's/master’s/specialist degree from another university,
please make sure you request official paper transcripts for that degree to be sent to DESE. DESE doesn’t accept electronic transcripts.
- Depending upon the license for which you are applying, you will probably have to have
passing scores on the appropriate Missouri Content Assessment Exam MoCA and performance
assessment (MoPTA, MoSLPA, or MoSCPA). The testing companies report those scores directly
to DESE. DESE stopped accepting Praxis II Exam scores on December 31, 2016.
- If you are applying for Advanced Licensure, please complete this Advanced Licensure Information Form and email to email@example.com. You must complete this form in order for your application to be processed.
- Please complete your online application prior to the end of the semester in which you will complete your program. This will ensure that your application will be processed as soon as your degree has
been posted by the Registrar's Office.
- It is strongly recommended that you apply for licensure even if you don’t plan to
use your license right away. If you do not apply immediately, state requirements
may change, and you might have to meet additional criteria (e.g. new tests, additional
- Once the Registrar's Office sends the Certification office your final transcript with
your Southeast degree posted, we will finish processing your application. This process may take several weeks after graduation.
- In most cases, you will not need to request an official Southeast transcript to be
sent to DESE; we will mail your paper transcripts to DESE for you.
- After all application materials have been submitted to DESE, it may take an additional
4-8 weeks for DESE to finish processing your application.
Once your application has been fully processed, you will be able to access evidence
of your license electronically on the DESE website.
Instructions for submitting out-of-state program verification forms
- Requests for completion of Out-of-State Program Verification Forms can be submitted
to the certification office by email to firstname.lastname@example.org (if the form doesn’t require your signature), by fax to 573-651-2410, hand delivered
to Scully Room 304, or by mail to:
Southeast Missouri State University
College of Education Associate Dean’s Office
One University Plaza, MS 5600
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
- Please allow up to 10 business days to process – forms will not be completed in person.
Complete all personal information prior to submitting the form to the certification
office, and also include instructions specifying where the form should be returned
Programs for which no recommendation from Southeast is required
If you are applying for licensure in ELL (English Language Learners), please contact
DESE directly for application instructions at 573-751-0051.