Southeast Missouri State University

Ruth VanAmburg James Scholarship
The James Scholarship is awarded to a sophomore English major who graduated from a high school in Cape Girardeau County.  The recipient must have an overall GPA of 2.5 and a 3.0 in English classes.  Financial need will also be considered.
Harry Huebel Memorial Scholarship
The Huebel Scholarship is awarded to a student who has a minimum of 60 hours with a declared major in history, art, literature, or foreign language.  It is based on academic merit and good character.  Financial need may also be a consideration in cases involving several highly qualified applicants.
The Janet Paar Greene Endowed Scholarship
The recipient of this scholarship must be an English Education major.  First preference goes to a resident of Jackson, Missouri; second preference goes to a Cape Girardeau County resident.  Only one recipient will be selected for each academic year.
Helen Uhl Collins Scholarship
The Helen Uhl Scholarship is for those students who are in need of financial aid and have maintained at least a 2.5 GPA.  All students who fit this description should feel free to apply, though preference will be given to English majors.
Lea Abernathy Scholarship
The Abernathy Scholarship is awarded each spring to a student who writes the best article, story, play, or poem with religious overtones.  The winner will be chosen by the chair of the Department of English.
Jennie C. Cooper Scholarship Fund
This scholarship award is for an American student studying abroad, preferably in Europe.  The scholarship is intended for a student who majors in one of the liberal arts or in an interdisciplinary degree involving liberal arts.  First preference is for the descendants of Jennie C. Cooper; second preference is for children of her former students; third preference is for study in England.
Dr. Dwight Dean Shackelford Endowed Scholarship
This scholarship will be awarded to an undergraduate English major with financial need.
For applications and further information on these and other financial aid opportunities, contact Student Financial Services.