Facilities Management personnel are responsible for the removal of snow and ice on
the campus walks, driveways, handicapped ramps, parking lots, and steps to buildings.
All areas, including River Campus, are important and should be cleaned up as quickly
as possible, however the following priorities should be followed:
- Building and handicapped entrances
- Shuttle bus routes
- Sidewalks (equipment will be assigned by zone)
- Normal Street
- Henderson Avenue
- College Hill
- Woodlawn Drive
- Circle Drive
- Cheney Drive
- Myers Drive
- Towers Circle (entrance and exit to Towers)
- River Campus
- General Services III
- Wildwood (May change subject to occupancy and event schedule)
- University Receiving/FMSC
- Parking Lots (see attached)
- Sidewalk snow removal will be accomplished by dividing the campus and equipment into
five zones. The employee will work to clear a path the width of the tractor blade
throughout all sidewalks in his/her zone. Upon completion of the initial path each
employee will widen all sidewalks to their complete width. (See equipment schedule)
- Review requirements and procedures with the University Police for notification of
Grounds personnel when snow removal will be required.
- Review procedures for snow and ice removal with the supervisors so that all drives,
parking lots, walks, steps, handicap ramps, loading areas, and crossings are cleared
to traffic prior to 7:30 a.m. if possible.
- Review the procedures with Grounds personnel, as to how and when the personnel will
be called in and who will call them if weather conditions develop during the night.
University Police Shift Commander will determine if the Grounds supervisor will be
called or not. One inch of snow accumulation and/or ice or freezing rain causing hazardous
driving conditions will be used as a general guideline by the University Police Shift
- When a call from the University Police is received indicating that conditions are
hazardous the Grounds Supervisor will evaluate the conditions and call the necessary
personnel and equipment operators to report to work.
- The Grounds Supervisor will notify the Facilities Management Director with the status
report of the road conditions and action taken.
Facilities Management Director
- The Director will notify the Vice President for Administration and Enrollment Management
with a status report of the road conditions and action taken. The Director will update
the Vice President as conditions change and make recommendations toward the closing
or delaying of classes at Southeast Missouri State University.
- If snow and/or ice have been predicted during the night and conditions are predicted
to continue, the University Police will call Facilities Management personnel.
Manager Grounds, Custodial, Support Services and Fleet
- Review all procedures for snow and ice removal with the Grounds Supervisor and all
Assistant Supervisors for Custodial Operations.
- The Manager will use Custodians on both shifts to see that snow and ice is removed
far enough from entrances to all for access of University snow equipment to walks
and driveways. Assistant Supervisors for Custodial will coordinate the snow removal
efforts of all custodial staff to take care of steps, entrances, and ADA ramps.