FACULTY SENATE SOUTHEAST MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY
FACULTY SENATE BILL 12-A-13
Approved by the Faculty Senate
April 4, 2012
BRIEF SUMMARY: This bill modifies the section of the Faculty Handbook entitled "The College and the College Dean" (Chapter 1, Section G3) by adding a subsection entitled "Membership Structure of a College Council" and making minor changes to incorporate this subsection into the existing text.
ADDING MEMBERSHIP STRUCTURE OF A COLLEGE COUNCIL TO THE COLLEGE AND THE COLLEGE DEAN
BE IT RESOLVED THAT: subject to the passage and approval of this bill Chapter 1, Section G3 of the Faculty Handbook be amended by replacing the existing content with the following:
1.G.3 THE COLLEGE AND THE COLLEGE DEAN
The college is an organization of departments within the University. The departments comprising a college represent academic disciplines with common methodologies but diverse subject matters. The purpose of organizing departments into colleges is to facilitate the administration of programs and the coordination of operations while preserving the uniqueness and integrity of each academic area.
The college dean occupies an important leadership role as the chief academic administrator of a college. He/she must possess the ability to identify closely with the various disciplines within the college in order to articulate their concerns to the administration and to relate University-wide aims and purposes to the needs and goals of the departments. He/she fosters the professional development of the college faculty and coordinates the development of departmental programs. He/she represents the college on the University Academic Council.
The dean is advised by a college council. Matters which cannot be dealt with at the departmental level are referred to the college council by the dean. In particular, the college council reviews program and degree proposals from departments which affect the offerings of other departments or require review by the University Academic Council or the Coordinating Board for Higher Education.
Membership Structure of a College Council
The members of a College Council shall consist of the college dean, chairs from each department and an equal number of faculty representatives from each of the affiliated departments. The faculty representatives shall be elected by their department to serve a three year appointment. Departmental chairs and faculty representatives are the voting members. Deans vote only in the case of a tie vote.
Additional non-voting members may be added to the college council to serve in an advisory capacity only. These non-voting members are appointed by the College Dean.
The Role and Responsibilities of the College Dean*
A. Instructional Programs
1. The college dean assists and stimulates departments in curriculum development.
2. He/she ensures that departmental programs, degree requirements, and proposals are consistent with University policies and goals and in harmony with state requirements.
3. He/she resolves, with the advice and consent of the college council, curriculum matters not resolved at the departmental level.
B. Personnel Affairs
1. The college dean, with the college council, coordinates faculty allocations with the college.
2. He/she reviews departmental recommendations for employment to ensure that candidates meet defined departmental needs.
3. He/she coordinates and reviews promotion, tenure, and dismissal procedures.
4. He/she ensures that departmental personnel policies and practices are consistent with college and University policies.
5. He/she encourages and stimulates professional development activities.
1. The college dean communicates and implements policies and procedures affecting the departments and faculty.
2. He/she ensures that departmental operations are consistent with University policies and procedures.
3. He/she chairs the college council through which he/she mediates disputes not resolved at the departmental level.
4. He/she represents the college within the administrative structure, principally by serving on the University Academic Council and other University-wide councils and committees.
5. He/she coordinates the budget requests of departments, prepares the college budget, coordinates through the college council the allocations of funds to departments, and reviews departmental expenditures.
6. He/she works with the departments and the administration to acquire and maintain facilities necessary to meet the instructional, professional, and research needs of the faculty and students of the college.
*The list of responsibilities is intended to be descriptive rather than exhaustive.
|Introduced to Senate||2/29/2012|
|Second Senate Meeting||3/21/2012|
|Faculty Senate Vote||3/21/2012|
|Board of Regents' Review||5/12/2012|
|Posted to Faculty Handbook|