E. Academic Fresh Start Policy
Faculty Senate Bill 11-A-7 begins here
The Academic Fresh Start policy is an appeals procedure which allows a student returning to Southeast Missouri State University after a prolonged absence to request academic forgiveness of prior cumulative grade point average. The policy is designed for undergraduate students who have gained maturity outside higher education and have demonstrated acceptable academic performance following their return.
Amended by Faculty Senate Bill 11-A-7
Reviewed by President April 2011
Approved by Board of Regents May 13, 2011
Faculty Senate Bill 11-A-8 begins here
The granting of an Academic Fresh Start is subject to the following conditions:
- Academic Fresh Start applies only to returning undergraduate students who had previously completed 30 or fewer semester hours and have had an absence of at least three calendar years from any post-secondary institution.
- Academic Fresh Start will affect all courses (including transfer credit) taken prior to the three-year absence. It may be elected only one time and is irrevocable.
- A minimum of 12 semester hours of graded courses with a grade point average of 2.0 must be completed after returning to Southeast before an Academic Fresh Start may be requested. For purposes of consideration for Academic Fresh Start, degree and non-degree credit courses will be used to compute grade point average. No requests will be considered after the student's first application for a baccalaureate degree.
- The student must submit a written request to the Office of the Registrar. The request must have the written approval of the student's advisor or designee.
- Upon the approval of the University Registrar, the student will be granted an Academic Fresh Start. The student's permanent academic record will remain a record of all coursework completed, including transfer credit recorded on the permanent academic record. Courses taken prior to the three year absence will not be used in computing grade point average and CANNOT be used to meet any requirements (e.g., degree, prerequisite, certification). Note: Academic Fresh Start is a policy of Southeast Missouri State University and may not be recognized by outside agencies or other institutions.
Amended by Faculty Senate Bill 11-A-8 April 6, 2011
Approved by President May 3, 2011
Posted for 15 Day Review May 10 – June 1, 2011