Southeast Missouri State University

Minutes - March 29, 2006

Vol. XL, No. 13

MINUTES OF THE FACULTY SENATE MEETING

March 29, 2006

The Faculty Senate of Southeast Missouri State University met on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 in the Missouriana Room of the University Center. The following Senators were present; James Champine (Chair), Michael Cobb (Chair-Elect), David Smith (Membership Committee Chair), Rick Althaus, Mary Elizabeth Ambery, Mary Ann DeLine, Kim Dillivan, Marc Fulgham, Kathy Gilliland, Priscilla Hornby, Daniel MacLeay, Jim McGill, Cheryl Milde, Bruce Mims, Debbie Beard (Alternate), Jayanti Ray, David Reinheimer, Sophia Scott, Haohao Wang, David Glick (Alternate), Xuesong Zhang, Martha Zlokovich, and Min Zou. Provost Stephens and Student Government Liaison Heather Valle were also present.

Absent and not represented by their Alternates were; Ronald Clayton, Arrick Jackson, Elaine Jackson, Bonnie Stepenhoff, Marc Strauss, and Rebecca Summary.

APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES

Approval of minutes Vol. XL-12 was moved by Senator Althaus and seconded by Senator Reinheimer. The motion carried.

REPORT FROM THE CHAIR

Chair Champine thanked Dr. Min Zou and Dr. Mary Elizabeth Ambery for volunteering for the Recognition Ceremony April 30. Chair Champine informed the Senate that Sandy Scroggins has asked for one more volunteer. Sandy can be reached at extension 2080.

Chair Champine reported that the Administrative Council did not meet.

Chair Champine asked Senator Cobb to report on March 17, when Lieutenant Governor Kinder and Representative Cooper came to the University. Dr. Cobb reported that the Lieutenant governor distributed the proposed, Lewis & Clark Discovery Initiative. Dr. Cobb reported that there was a question/answer session with Dr. Dobbins. He also indicated that he felt the meeting went very well and there was a lot of interest.

Chair Champine asked Senator Althaus to report on AQIP. Senator Althaus indicated that the self assessment using the AQIP Examiner went very well. He indicated that Dennis Holt is in the process of preparing a summary of the results from that survey.

Chair Champine asked all committee chairs to prepare a written report on their committee's activities. He indicated that committee reports are an important record of the topics of discussion and a consideration. He asked the committee chairs to please send an electric version to Dana at dmglass@semo.edu. Chair Champine indicated that he will also send a reminder electronically.


REPORT FROM THE ADMINISTRATIVE LIAISON

Provost Stephens encouraged the Senate to look at the Chronicle. She indicated that there was an article in there about Sallie Mae buying up state loan agencies.

Provost Stephens thanked the faculty for taking such a big part in the AQIP Self Assessment. She indicated that faculty was the largest group that responded to the survey and she was very appreciative of their interest and participation.

REPORT FROM THE STUDENT GOVERNMENT LIAISON

Student Government Liaison, Heather Valle reported that the Student Government (SG) held a Presidential Debate on Monday and elections will be held on the 5th and 6th of April . She also indicated that the SG is working on revising their bylaws.

LEGISLATIVE COMMITTEE REPORTS

Documents
Senator MacLeay reported that the Documents Committee has prepared two documents, Computer Folder Organization for Senate Document and Procedures for Updating the Faculty Handbook. Senator MacLeay distributed both documents. Chair Champine asked that any comments about either document be forwarded to the Documents Committee.

Professional Affairs
Senator Bruce Mims yielded to Senator Althaus to present the Professional Affairs report. Senator Althaus indicated that the Committee has finalized the promotion/tenure letter. He indicated he would get the letter to Dana so that it could be distributed.

Provost Stephens indicated that someone had asked if it was appropriate for the Faculty Senate's committees to send letters out to faculty. Senator Althaus addressed the concern and indicated that it had been discussed in Professional Affairs and the consensus was to send the letter out from Professional Affairs instead of the Faculty Senate.

Governance
Senator Zlokovich indicated that the Governance Committee met with Jim Cook, the Provost, and the lawyer last week. She indicated that the lawyer had some organizational revisions. Senator Zlokovich also indicated that they had discussed Provost Stephens' reservations about including the statement “The Provost is strongly encouraged to follow the Faculty Senate Grievance Committee's recommendation” in the document and the accompanying flow chart. Senator Zlokovich indicated that they came to the conclusion that instead of sending a grievance back to the Provost for a second evaluation, they would modify the flow chart to go to the Provost and the President at the same time for the final evaluation. Senator Zlokovich indicated that she would try to have the final draft at the Faculty Senate meeting April 5.

Compensation
Senator Milde thanked the Compensation Committee for all their hard work on the budget. She indicated that they will have their final meeting with the Budget Review Committee April 6.
Provost Stephens commended the Compensation Committee for meeting with the President about the budget before making their final proposal.

Academic Affairs
Senator Reinheimer reported that Academic Affairs met last week, but was unable to achieve a quorum. He indicated that he hoped to finalize the five-year calendar electronically and bring it to the next Faculty Senate meeting.

Membership
Senator Smith reported that the Membership Committee was unable to meet.
Senator Althaus asked that if solicitations for the next round of committees were going to be done by the current Membership Committee to please include the Senate's regular meeting schedule, so that members will be well-informed and can accommodate their 2006-2007 schedules accordingly.

NEW BUSINESS

Senator MacLeay moved that the Procedures for Updating the Faculty Handbook be approved by the Faculty Senate at their next meeting and was seconded by Senator Zlokovich.

OLD BUSINESS

Chair Champine indicated that he had distributed a document titled Suggested Guidelines for Effective Use of Student Evaluation of Instruction at the March 1 meeting. At that time he asked the Senate to consider the document. Chair Champine indicated that he met with the ad hoc committee and Ken Surendran this morning to finalize the document. He indicated that he would distribute the final version to the Senate electronically. Chair Champine indicated that he gave the document accompanied by an example resolution to Professional Affairs March 15 for consideration.

The Senate moved to executive session to consider a bill and have a discussion.

A motion to approve Bill 06-A-03 granting emeritus status for Alberta Macke Dougan was put forward by Senator Mims (Milde seconded).

ADJOURNMENT

The motion to adjourn (Scott/Gilliland) was recognized and approved at 4:00 p.m.

The next Faculty Senate Meeting will be April 5 in the University Center Party Room at 3:00 PM.

Approved April 5, 2006

APPLY VISIT DONATE