Southeast Missouri State University

Minutes - September 29, 2010

XLV, No. 5

MINUTES OF THE FACULTY SENATE MEETING

September 29, 2010

The Faculty Senate of Southeast Missouri State University met on Wednesday, September 29, 2010, in the Tribute Room of the University Center. Attending were: Sophia Scott (Chair), Kevin Dickson (Chair-elect), Janice Ward (Membership Chair), Rick Althaus, Larry Bohannon, Stephanie Chamberlain, Brandon Christensen, Eric Clements, Don Jung, Debra Lee-DiStefano, Charles McAllister, Rachel Morgan Theall, Phil Nacy, David Naugler, Jian Peng, David Powell, Joyce Renaud, Seidu Sofo, Sven Svenson, Carol Veneziano, Haohao Wang, Victor Wilburn, Diane Wood, Chris Wubbena, and alternates Karl Suhr, Daniel Beard and Marcia Hobbs. Also in attendance were Vice-Provost Fred Janzow and Student Government Liaison Daniel Schuenemeyer. Dr. Sean Eom, Dr. Susan Swartwout and Dr. Mike Cobb attended as guests.

Absent and not represented by an alternate were Willie Redmond and Walt Paquin.

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

The minutes of September 15 (44.4) were approved by voice vote (motion Underberg/Christensen) after minor amendments regarding attendance and wording of a committee report.

ADMINISTRATIVE LIAISON'S REPORT

Vice-provost Janzow reported that the only item Provost Rosati had left him to report on was the Ad Hoc Committee, and he deferred to Chair Scott and Dr. Swartwout in regard to that.

STUDENT GOVERNMENT LIAISON'S REPORT

Student Government Liaison Daniel Schuenemeyer reported that Provost Rosati had spoken to Student Government, giving them much of the same information as he had presented to Faculty Senate at its September 15th meeting. He further reported that Student Government has been working with the Hazing Prevention committee, approving and funding several student organizations and approving the SG budget.

CHAIR'S REPORT

Chair Scott said that later in the meeting the Senate would discuss the Concept Document that had been e-mailed to Senators. The Ad Hoc Committee is working on the draft of actual policies and proceduresᾰthe goal is to have that document ready by October 6. As soon as a working draft is ready it will be posted and e-mailed to the Senate. Legislative committees have been assigned portions of the Handbook to review; work on these sections of the Handbook is proceeding at the same time as the work of the Ad Hoc Committee.

Chair Scott then reported on budget issues. All colleges/schools either have had meetings or meetings are scheduled with the President, the Provost and the Vice President for Finance in regard to financial matters. She also reported that the Benefits Subcommittee has met twice and has received recommendations from the consultant; those recommendations were not good. The Benefits Subcommittee will meet on September 30 to formulate recommendations for the Budget Review Committee meeting on October 8. Budget Review in turn will make recommendations to the President and Administrative Council on October 12. On October 13 there will be a Brown Bag lunch to inform and to invite comments from faculty; Chair Scott has also called a special Senate meeting on October 13 where the budget will be the sole item on the agenda. Feedback from this meeting is essential since the Board of Regents will be discussing budgetary items at its October 22nd meeting.

In response to a question regarding the Benefits Subcommittee, Chair Scott said that although she had information, she was not allowed to share it at present; as soon as she is able to do so, she will.

A question was asked regarding the make-up of the Budget Review Committee; Senator Ward responded that Kathy Mangels had pointed out that only one representative per college or school from the Compensation Committee is allowed on the Budget Review Committee, and the Senate had exceeded that number.

Chair Scott informed the Senate that the new link for important documents/information is now functional on the Senate web page; documents will be posted as soon as possible. In addition, a newsletter is being put together and she asked that any items that Senators would like to have included should be sent to the administrative assistant.

Chair Scott also reported that a committee of Administrative Council is working on an Employee Recognition Program, in an attempt to boost morale among staff, as a companion to the current Faculty Recognition programs. At present suggestions are for a Team recognition and an Employee of the Year. Employees will be nominated by faculty/supervisors for these awards.

Other items Chair Scott spoke about were increased enrollment (up 15.6%), retention figures (freshmen not coming directly from high school, transfer and non-traditional students in particular) and reasons why freshmen choose Southeast (personal attention and tuition rates.) Additionally she commented on complaints about people not following the smoking policy on campus and encouraged attendance at the Speakers Series debate on September 30 between Pat Buchanan and Tom Daschle.

Senator Althaus asked about the College Level Development Policy change that the Senate approved during the last session, since it had not been updated on-line; Senator Renaud said she was checking on the status of other changes that had been approved but paperwork had not been received in the Senate Office authorizing their posting. Chair Scott said it would be investigated.

OLD BUSINESS

Senator Lee-DiStefano said that after Provost Rosati's presentation at the last Senate meeting, she read the Governor's speech on-line and feels that educators need to respond on a state-wide level to his proposals. Senator Chamberlain asked that anyone with similar concerns contact her and she will present them at the MAFS meeting in Jefferson City on October 11-12. Chair Scott added that she and Chair-elect Dickson would be happy to convey any comments/issues to officials at MAFS. Vice-provost Janzow stated that the Governor's speech was very open to interpretation, and education officials across the state are asking questions about how to proceed and how to ensure that the procedures have integrity and honor the quality of the degrees produced.

Chair Scott then opened discussion on the Concept Document relating to Handbook revision. She said the Ad Hoc Committee would meet on October 1 to draft policies, and hoped to have a copy ready to share with the Senate by October 6. Concerns voiced about the Concept Document included: (in no particular order)

The definition of financial exigency
The disappearance of an Appeals process
The statement of principle (cutting non-academic programs before academic programs)
Separation of policies and procedures
Who determines programmatic needᾰdepartments or administration
As the financial situation improves, stopping the termination process
Which criteria a faculty member is evaluated on if reassigned through retrenchment
Conflicts in language
Rationale/language for academic restructuring

LEGISLATIVE COMMITTEE REPORTS

MembershipᾰChair Ward reported that Senator McAllister (Accounting) had volunteered to be the liaison to Student Government.

Professional AffairsᾰChair Althaus reported that the committee had been briefed on the Ad Hoc Committee and had assigned members to subcommittees to carry out their assignment regarding Handbook review. He also said that they endorsed again the compensation bill that will be presented under New Business.

Academic AffairsᾰSenator Ward reported that the committee had been looking at the sections of the Handbook that had been assigned to them, deeming them appropriate for the committee. Additionally they are investigating Academic Distinction in the major using feedback from Julie Grueneberg in the Registrar's Office about potential changes in Chapters 3 and 5 of the Handbook.

DocumentsᾰChair Renaud said the committee was in the process of reviewing their assigned section, Chapter 8 (Johnson Faculty Centre), and found that many things stated are no longer being practiced (collection of membership dues, scheduling of meetings and suites, etc.) At this point the committee has more questions than answers. Senator Wilburn said he was trying to schedule a meeting with Kathy Mangels to get more information. He suggested pointing out the inconsistencies and getting recommendations from the Senate.

GovernanceᾰDue to the absence of Chair Paquin, Senator Wood said that the committee was reviewing sections of the Handbook that had been assigned to them.

CompensationᾰChair Sebby also said that the committee was in the process of reviewing its assigned sections of the Handbook.

NEW BUSINESS

Senator Sebby distributed copies of the compensation bill that had been e-mailed to Senators, saying that the essentials of it remain the same as the bill passed by the Senate in the spring of 2010. He said that unnecessary language had been removed to improve its chances of approval by Budget Review, the President and the Board of Regents. Chair Scott said that the goal was to have this ready for the December Board meeting, and that it would appear on the agenda for next week's Senate meeting for approval.

EXECUTIVE SESSION

The Senate moved into executive session, and Senator Althaus offered a recommendation for emeritus status for Bruce Hathaway, who retired from the University on August 9. He then moved to accept the recommendation, which was seconded by Chair-elect Dickson. The motion passed with a unanimous voice vote.

ADJOURNMENT

Senator Naugler moved to adjourn and Senator Jung seconded. The meeting adjourned at 4:47 pm.

***
The next meeting of the Faculty Senate will be on October 13, from 3 to 4 pm, in the Tribute Room (#205) of the University Center.

Approved October 20, 2010

APPLY VISIT DONATE