The Sport Management degree at Southeast Missouri State University is the only sport management program of its kind in Missouri. The Sport Management Program Review Council awarded program approval in July 2005 after Southeast met the required rigorous curricular standards. Only 50 undergraduate programs in the United States currently have this approval. Sport Management is a field of study preparing students to work in the sport industry. Sport managers work to produce, promote, organize and facilitate sport events, services and products. Our program combines sport-specific courses with a business administration minor. The curriculum is designed to meet the curricular guidelines for sport management established by professional organizations: North American Society for Sport Management and the National Association for Sport and Physical Education.
Our students have found work in minor league franchises, National Hockey League, Lowe's Motor Speedway, intercollegiate athletics, university recreation, parks and recreation, sporting goods manufacturing, and sporting goods retail.
The mission of the Sport Management program is to provide undergraduate and graduate students with professional education in the sport industry by emphasizing both theoretical and experiential learning as the twin pillars for success in a challenging and personal atmosphere.
The goals of the Southeast Missouri State University Sport Management Program are:
- To provide undergraduate and graduate students with a supportive environment and challenging educational experiences.
- To prepare undergraduate and graduate students to communicate professionally and effectively both orally and in writing using multiple forms of media.
- To prepare undergraduate and graduate students to utilize technology with proficiency to aide in analysis and communication.
- To equip undergraduate and graduate students with knowledge and skills necessary to work in and serve sport organizations in our multistate region.
- To facilitate collaboration among students, faculty, and regional professionals in application of sport theory.
- To uphold the university mission.
- To maintain optimal enrolment and student retention and graduation rates in sport management.
- To establish and maintain relationships with key stakeholder group (undergraduate and graduate students, alumni, campus departments, regional support organizations).
- To grow in providing effective teaching and learning and commitment to the teacher scholar model.
Current Members of the Sport Management Advisory Board are:
- Rachel Blunt, Director of Compliance, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
- Dan Dial, General Manager, River City Rascals
- Mark Kraemer, Sports Marketing and Licensing Manager, Rawlings Sporting Goods
- Justen Meyer, Manager of Group Sales, St. Louis Cardinals
- Kent Phillips, Coordinator of Facilities & Event Management, Southeast Missouri State University Athletics
- Salim Powell, Special Teams/Defensive Assistant Coach, Southeast Missouri State University Athletics
- Tiffany Ryan, Coordinator, Cardinals Care & Community Relations, St. Louis Cardinals
- Nathan Saverino, Coordinator of Marketing & Promotions, Southeast Missouri State University Athletics
- Jared Tanz, Perryville Parks and Recreation Director