The Sport Management degree at Southeast Missouri State University is the only sport
management program of its kind in Missouri.
Southeast Missouri State University is the only Missouri institution with COSMA accredited
programs in sport management (the MBA with an option in sport management and the MA
in Higher Education Administration with a focus in sport management at the institution
are also accredited.
The sport management degree program(s) at Southeast Missouri State University has
received specialized accreditation through the Commission on Sport Management Accreditation
(COSMA) located in Arlington, Virginia, USA. The sport management programs in the
following degrees are accredited by COSMA:
- Bachelor of Science in Sport Management
- Master of Business Administration with an option in Sport Management
- Master of Arts in Higher Education Administration with a concentration in Sport Management
Sport Management is a field of study preparing students to work in the sport industry.
Sport managers work to produce, promote, organize and facilitate sport events, services
and products. Our program combines sport-specific courses with a business administration
Our students have found work in minor league franchises, the National Hockey League,
Charlotte Motor Speedway, Major League Baseball, the National Basketball Association,
the National Football League, intercollegiate athletics, university recreation, parks
and recreation, sporting goods manufacturing, and sporting goods retail.
The mission of the Sport Management program is to provide undergraduate and graduate
students with professional education in the sport industry by emphasizing both theoretical
and experiential learning as the twin pillars for success in a challenging and personal
Goals of the Southeast Missouri State University Sport Management Program
- To provide undergraduate and graduate students with a supportive environment and challenging
- To prepare undergraduate and graduate students to communicate professionally and effectively
both orally and in writing using multiple forms of media.
- To prepare undergraduate and graduate students to utilize technology with proficiency
to aide in analysis and communication.
- To equip undergraduate and graduate students with knowledge and skills necessary to
work in and serve sport organizations in our multistate region.
- To facilitate collaboration among students, faculty, and regional professionals in
application of sport theory.
- To maintain optimal enrolment and student retention and graduation rates in sport
- To establish and maintain relationships with key stakeholder group (undergraduate
and graduate students, alumni, campus departments, regional support organizations).
- To grow in providing effective teaching and learning and commitment to the teacher
Current Members of the Sport Management Advisory Board
- Rachel Blunt, Assistant Director of Athletics for Compliance, Southeast Missouri State
- Dan Dial, President & General Manager, River City Rascals
- Mark Kraemer, Sports Marketing and Licensing Manager, Rawlings Sporting Goods
- Justen Meyer, Manager of Group Sales, St. Louis Cardinals
- Kent Phillips, Coordinator of Facilities & Event Management, Southeast Missouri State
- Salim Powell, Cornerbacks Coach, Southeast Missouri State University Athletics
- Nathan Saverino, Assistant Director of Athletics for External Affairs, Southeast Missouri
State University Athletics
- Heather Mills, General Manager, Joliet Slammers