The Sport Management degree at Southeast Missouri State University is the only sport
management program of its kind in Missouri.
The Bachelor of Science in Sport management received accreditation from the Commission
on Sport Management Accreditation in November 2013. Southeast Missouri State University
is the only Missouri institution with COSMA accredited programs in sport management
(the MBA with an option in sport management and the MA in Higher Education Administration
with a focus in sport management at the institution are also accredited. As of spring
2014 there are 31 COSMA accredited programs at 14 institutions.
Sport Management is a field of study preparing students to work in the sport industry.
Sport managers work to produce, promote, organize and facilitate sport events, services
and products. Our program combines sport-specific courses with a business administration
minor. The curriculum is designed to meet the curricular guidelines for sport management
established by professional organizations: North American Society for Sport Management
and the National Association for Sport and Physical Education.
Our students have found work in minor league franchises, the National Hockey League,
Lowe's Motor Speedway, intercollegiate athletics, university recreation, parks and
recreation, sporting goods manufacturing, and sporting goods retail.
The mission of the Sport Management program is to provide undergraduate and graduate
students with professional education in the sport industry by emphasizing both theoretical
and experiential learning as the twin pillars for success in a challenging and personal
Goals of the Southeast Missouri State University Sport Management Program
- To provide undergraduate and graduate students with a supportive environment and challenging
- To prepare undergraduate and graduate students to communicate professionally and effectively
both orally and in writing using multiple forms of media.
- To prepare undergraduate and graduate students to utilize technology with proficiency
to aide in analysis and communication.
- To equip undergraduate and graduate students with knowledge and skills necessary to
work in and serve sport organizations in our multistate region.
- To facilitate collaboration among students, faculty, and regional professionals in
application of sport theory.
- To uphold the university mission.
- To maintain optimal enrolment and student retention and graduation rates in sport
- To establish and maintain relationships with key stakeholder group (undergraduate
and graduate students, alumni, campus departments, regional support organizations).
- To grow in providing effective teaching and learning and commitment to the teacher
Current Members of the Sport Management Advisory Board
- Rachel Blunt, Director of Compliance, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
- Dan Dial, General Manager, River City Rascals
- Mark Kraemer, Sports Marketing and Licensing Manager, Rawlings Sporting Goods
- Justen Meyer, Manager of Group Sales, St. Louis Cardinals
- Kent Phillips, Coordinator of Facilities & Event Management, Southeast Missouri State
- Salim Powell, Special Teams/Defensive Assistant Coach, Southeast Missouri State University
- Nathan Saverino, Coordinator of Marketing & Promotions, Southeast Missouri State University
- Jared Tanz, Perryville Parks and Recreation Director