The Dietetic Internship represents one of the final two steps in the process of becoming a Registered Dietitian. It comes after the undergraduate degreee is earned and provides 9 months of experiential learning that are required before the RD exam may be taken.
The Southeast Missouri State University Dietetic Internship has as the emphasis area "Nutrition Education". It provides experiences in nutrition therapy, community nutrition, food service systems management, and nutrition education.
Health promotion and disease prevention along with primary and/or ambulatory health care are experienced at various sites including fitness facilities, hospitals, food service establishments, university foodservice, and numerous community agencies.
The supervised practice sites are located primarily throughout southeast Missouri. Interns have a diverse array of experiences that prepare them to be Registered Dietitians. (Access to an automobile and a computer with Internet connection are required.)
The internship is 36 weeks in length beginning in mid-August and concluding with graduation in May.
Criteria for Admission
- A baccalaureate or advanced degree from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university, or a foreign degree that is evaluated as equivalent to at least a U.S. baccalaureate degree.
- Completion of a Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) as approved by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) or evidence of completion of all but one year of coursework in an undergraduate DPD.
- A minimum of 3.0 grade point average on a 4.0 scale.
- Minimum GRE score of 300.
Southeast Missouri State University is an equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, national origin, or disability.
Features of the Program
The program provides an opportunity to:
- Complete the supervised practice experience required by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Earn 14 hours of graduate credit toward a Master of Arts in Human Environmental Studies or Nutrition and Exercise Science.
- Become eligible to take the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics registration exam.
- Access all of Southeast Missouri State University's facilities including Kent Library, state-of the art computer laboratories, and student fitness and recreation facilities.
- Continue graduate studies after the supervised experience is completed with the possibility of obtaining a graduate assistantship.
The Southeast Missouri State University Dietetic Internship is granted accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics,120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000, Chicago, IL 60606-6995, (312) 899-0040. Http://www.eatright.org/ACEND