Associate Professor of Nutrition and Dietetics, Director of Post Graduate Dietetic Internship
- B.S., Carnegie-Mellon University
- M.S., Drexel University
- Ph.D., Southern Illinois University.
Dr. Marietta brings to the classroom a variety of real world experiences including food service director at a Missouri mental health facility, director of a dietary manager’s program, a private consulting practice, and years of teaching experience.
Areas of Expertise
- food labeling
- safety and sanitation
- community nutrition (especially hunger issues)
- food and culture
- nutrition counseling
- dietetics education
Dr. Marietta has been instrumental in increasing university dietetic student involvement in community nutrition issues. Several activities students have participated in include: Empty Bowls, an event intended to increase awareness of local hunger issues and raise money to help address hunger in the community, hunger banquets, work in various food pantries, and development of a grant proposal.
Professionally, Dr. Marietta is a member of the American Dietetic Association and the Society for Nutrition Education and has served as a national site visitor for the Commission on Accreditation for Dietetics Education (2001-2007).
Southeast Missouri State University, Cape Girardeau, Missouri:
- Associate Professor, Department of Human Environmental Studies, 2003-present. Tenured August 2004, Director, Dietetic Internship, teaching responsibilities
- Assistant Professor, Department of Human Environmental Studies. 1998-2003 Director, Dietetic Internship, teaching, nutrition counselor in Center for Health and Counseling (1998-2002).
- Adjunct Faculty, Department of Human Environmental Studies. 1990-1998. Dietetics classes (University Studies), Early Childhood Education.
Missouri Department of Health, Bureau of Disabilities Prevention, Jefferson City, Missouri:
- Health Educator, March 1997 – September 1997. Responsibilities included: co-author of curriculum “Maternal Screening to Prevent Fetal Alcohol Syndrome” under a grant from the CDC. Approved for nationwide distribution by the CDC.
- Cottonwood Residential Treatment Center, Missouri Department of Mental Health, Cape Girardeau, Missouri:
Facility Director of Dietary Services, 1991 - 1998.