In order to complete the Bachelor of Science degree in Historic Preservation, students must complete a portfolio review.
These are the steps in the process:
- Save copies of project reports, term papers, photographs, drawings, and other documents that represent the best work you have done as a student at Southeast.
- Compile these documents in an organized portfolio, preferably in a three-ring binder with dividers labeled to identify important categories of materials.
- Prepare a resume that highlights your accomplishments in the Historic Preservation Program. If you need help with your resume, consult a faculty member or a staff member in Career Services.
- During your final semester before graduation, enroll in HP007 and CL004. This will not add to your credit hours or incur additional cost, but they are both required for graduation.
- For CL004, in addition to the resume, you will need to prepare a sample cover letter applying to either a graduate program or a professional position in the field. You will also need to update the profile on missouricareersource.com you created in CL003.
- During the last few weeks before graduation, the program coordinator (Dr. Hoffman) will schedule a date and time for your portfolio review.
Bring the following materials to your portfolio review:
- Four copies of your resume.
- Four copies of your cover letter (plus the job ad).
- Print out of your updated home page on missouricareersource.com
- Your portfolio.
Be prepared to give a brief (10-minute) oral presentation, discussing your experience as a student at Southeast, the strengths you have to offer as a professional, and your plans for the future. Your presentation should make specific references to the materials you have compiled in your portfolio.
After your presentation, faculty members will conduct an exit interview, offering helpful comments on your resume and your portfolio, asking for your feedback on the preservation program, and discussing your transition to a graduate program or the professional world.
Your portfolio review session should last about one hour.