Dr. Steven Hoffman, Historic Preservation Program Coordinator
Professor of History
- Ph.D. Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - Social History
- M.H.P. Georgia State University, Atlanta, Georgia - Master of Heritage Preservation
- Exploring the role of race and class in the city building process.
- Race, Class and Power in the Building of Richmond, 1870-1920. Jefferson, NC and London: McFarland and Company Publishers, Inc., 2004.
- Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- “Looking North: A Mid-South Perspective on the Great Strike,” in The Great Strikes of 1877, David O. Stowell, (ed)(University of Illinois Press)(2008).
- “Warning! Technology Can Be Dangerous to Your Health: A Case Study from the Trenches” (with Larry Easley and Joel Rhodes) Journal of the Association for History and Computing (Volume III, Number 1, May 2005).
- "Progressive Public Health Administration in the Jim Crow South: A Case Study of Richmond, Virginia, 1907-1920," Journal of Social History (Fall 2001): 175-194.
- "Reinventing the American History Survey," (with Larry Easley) in History.Edu: Essays in Teaching, Writing and Researching History, Dennis Trinkle and Scott Merriman, (eds.) M.E. Sharpe, 2001, pp. 62-71.
- "The Decline of the Port of Richmond: The Richmond Chamber of Commerce and the U.S. Army Corps. of Engineers," The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography Commerce (volume 108, Number 3, 2000): 255-278.
- "Creating the Electronic Classroom: A Practical Guide," (with Larry Easley) Journal of Social Education (Spring/Summer 2000): 80-93.
- "The Main Street Program and Its Impact on Downtown Retailing" (with Judy Wiles), Proceedings of the American Society of Business and Behavioral Sciences (February 2000): 407-414.
- "The Saga of Pittsburgh's Liberty Tubes: Geographical Partisanship on the Urban Fringe," Pittsburgh History 75 (Fall 1992): 128-141.
- "'A Plan of Quality:' The Development of Mt. Lebanon, A 1920s Automobile Suburb," Journal of Urban History 18 (February 1992): 141-181.
- Other Publications
- Review of The Birth of City Planning in the United States, 1840-1917. By Jon A. Peterson (Baltimore and London: The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2003) in Urban History, 32, 3 (2005): 535-536.
- Review of Building the South Side: Urban Space and Civic Culture in Chicago, 1890-1919. By Robin F. Bachin (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2004) in Journal of Social History (June 2006).
- Review of American Towns: An Interpretive History. By David J. Russo (Chicago: Ivan R. Dee, 2001) in Journal of Social History (Summer 2005): 1111-1113.
- Review of Martin V. Melosi, The Sanitary City: Urban Infrastructure in America from Colonial Times to the Present (Baltimore & London: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2000) in Journal of Social History, (September 2002): 194-196.
- Review of The Sanitary City: Urban Infrastructure in America from Colonial Times to the Present. By Martin V. Melosi (Baltimore & London: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2000) in APWA Reporter (American Public Works Association, March 2002): 19.
- Dual Review of Kimberly Phillips, Alabama North: African-American Migrants, Community, and Working Class Activism in Cleveland, 1915-45 (Champaign, Illinois: University of Illinois Press, 1999) and John Hartigan, Jr., Racial Situations: Class Predicaments of Whiteness in Detroit (New Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1999) in Journal of Social History (Fall 2001): 229-233.
- "Mt. Lebanon," in Neil Larry Shumsky (ed.), American Cities and Suburbs: An Encyclopedia (New York and London: Garland Publishing, Inc.), Spring 1999.
- Review of Ronald H. Bayor, Race & the Shaping of Twentieth-Century Atlanta (Chapel Hill, North Carolina: University of North Carolinia Press, 1996), in Journal of Social History, 31 (Summer 1998): 179-180.
- Review of Richard Harris, Toronto's American Tragedy, 1900-1950 (Baltimore, Maryland: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1996), in Journal of Social History, 31 (Spring 1998): 164-165.
- Review of Christopher Silver and John Moeser, The Separate City: Black Communities in the Urban South, 1940-1968 (Lexington, Kentucky: University of Kentucky Press, 1995) in Journal of Social History, 30 (Spring 1997): 791-793.
- Review of Alexander von Hoffman, Local Attachments: The Making of an American Urban Neighborhood, 1850-1920 (Baltimore and London: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1994) in Journal of Social History, 29 (Fall 1995): 207-209
- "Warner and Urban History," The Urban History Newsletter (The Urban History Association), March 1995.
- "Suburbanization," in Peter N. Stearns (ed.), Encyclopedia of Social History (New York and London: Garland Publishing, Inc.), 1994.
- "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Infrastructure," Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, December 15, 1990, (with Joel A. Tarr), p. 11.