Information about Candlewood
The University has partnered with Candlewood Suites Extended Stay Hotel located in Cape Girardeau to provide housing for 48 upper-class students who would otherwise be living on the main Southeast campus. This is the second year in a row of significant demand for on campus housing and without this arrangement we could not accommodate additional new and first year students on the main Southeast campus. Additionally the University is excited to offer this opportunity as it fits within our planning to develop a partnership to assist in the building and operation a hotel near the River Campus in the future.
How is living at Candlewood different?
With this unique agreement with Candlewood the University we have worked to make this as simple for our students as possible. Students will still pay the same room rate as Vandiver/Henderson/New Hall and all charges will be processed if the student were living on campus. Financial Aid and all other policies that would benefit a student living on the main campus would still apply for students living at Candlewood. No additional payment to Candlewood or separate agreement would be required for a student wanting to live in this exciting new option. Here are some specific things that make living at Candlewood different from living on campus.
- Students will be provided a room in the extended suite hotel. Rooms at Candlewood are larger than rooms in the residence halls at Southeast.
- All rooms have kitchens (not including over) and individual bathrooms. Because all rooms have full kitchens students are not required to purchase a meal plan as they would be if they lived on the main campus.
- All rooms are furnished and will include a television and DVD provided as part of the room.
- All rooms will have monthly custodial services provided in all rooms and bathrooms.
- Students receive a preferred commuter parking pass as part of living at Candlewood. This cost will be included in the room rate.
FAQ about Candlewood
- Is internet access provided? Yes. There is wireless access in all rooms and common areas. Access to the wireless network is included in the housing charges paid by students. No additional charge to the student from the hotel is required.
- Is cable TV access provided? Yes. There is cable TV access all rooms and common areas. Access to cable TV is included in the housing charges paid by students. No additional charge to the student from the hotel is required. No pay per view or services via the cable TV system are available.
- Will I have a roommate? Yes. Just like your current residence hall assignment, or future assignment, all students on the main campus have roommates; therefore you would have a roommate at Candlewood. If space becomes available throughout the year students will have the opportunity to buy out the other bed in the room to make the room a private room, in accordance with the same process and private rooms rate as used on the main campus.
- Will would I be able to park at the Candlewood hotel? Yes, parking will be provided at Candlewood. No additional cost is required for parking at the hotel.
- Will I be able to stay over the break periods? Yes. The same break housing policy as the main campus will be followed for students at Candlewood. Students remaining over the breaks are required to pay a break housing daily rate.
- Is a shuttle provided for access to the Main Campus/River Campus? No. By providing all students a preferred commuter parking pass at no additional cost we hope to provide students convenient access to their classes and avoid the need for shuttle service.
- Can we smoke, have pets, or alcohol in the rooms? No. The same policies for smoking, alcohol, and pets apply to Candlewood as any on campus residence hall, therefore smoking in room, alcohol, and pets are not permitted.
- Will kitchen supplies and bathrooms supplies be provided? No. Individual students will need to provide their own kitchen and bed linens, towels, and bathroom supplies. This includes cooking and food preparation supplies.
- Will a staff member live at Candlewood? Yes. A member of the Office of Residence Life staff will be live on site at Candlewood and will assist in community development and to help respond to any concerns by the students living there.
- Is there on site laundry service? Yes. Laundry service is provided on site and all costs for laundry are included in your room rate. You need only provide your detergent.
- What size are the beds? All beds will be the XL twin (80”) in size.
- How long will I live at Candlewood? Just like the other residence halls your assignment is for the academic year. We have worked hard to provide a unique and outstanding living environment for our students at Candlewood and therefore we are not planning to force students to move from Candlewood as soon as other space is open on the main campus. Students are free to choose to move if they prefer, but we are planning for students to live in this location for the entire year. The contract between the University and Candlewood provides for housing for our students for the full academic year.
- Will the rooms have phone access? Yes. Local phone service is provided as part of your room rate. No long distance service is included and if this service is needed arrangements with the hotel and University will need to be made for this service to be made available.
- Can I use the pool and fitness area? No/Yes. Students will be provide an opportunity to buy access to the pool and fitness center. Since all room charges are at the same rate as on campus residence halls that do not have pools or fitness centers these amenities are not included in the rate paid by students living at Candlewood. The hotel and you the students living at Candlewood will meet to talk about what a fair rate is for access to these services for those students interested. With two great recreation centers on the campus, we encourage you to first look at using these facilities before considering those at the hotel.
- Where do I get my mail? Students can pick up their mail at the front desk of the hotel. The hotel has a process for sorting mail and will handle mail service and packages in a manner similar to what is done at the residence halls.
- Does the hotel provide shampoo, lotion, and other bathroom amenities? Since students are living in the rooms for the full academic year, the space is being managed more like a private apartment and not a hotel room. This means there are no bathroom amenities like shampoo, lotion, coffee, or other similar type things that are provided to student rooms. Students must provide their own bathroom supplies.
- Does the University Student Code of Conduct apply to students living in Candlewood? Yes, students at Candlewood are expected to follow the policies and processes as defined in the Student Code of Conduct.
- What is our mailing address:
Candlewood Suites Room #
485 South Mt. Auburn Rd.
Cape Girardeau, MO 63703