Fall 2013 and Spring 2014 Housing Assignment Process
Students can complete their housing contract for the 2013/14 Academic Year through the MySoutheast Portal. The contract link is accessible from the Students SS tab. The steps for completing a Contract for University Housing are detailed below. You must submit, or have a full-ride scholarship that covers the housing deposit to submit a Contract for University Housing. Without a submitted or waived housing deposit your Contract for University Housing is not complete and you will not be assigned a residence hall room.
- Go to portal.semo.edu using either MS Explore or Firefox.
- Using the login on the top left of the screen enter your SEkey and password. If you have trouble with your SE key use the help menu located under the login in window.
- Click on the “Students SS” tab.
- Click on the Banner Self Service link on top left box.
- Click on “Southeast Student Processes.”
- Click on – “Complete Contract for University Housing” link.
- Click on “Complete Contract for University Housing” button.
- Complete the Contract for University Housing information.
- Select the application period you are requesting to live on campus
- Complete all questions concerning your roommate and residence hall preferences (No residence hall assignment is guaranteed)
- Verify roommate ID (If you provided a preferred roommate Southeast ID)
- Click submit when finished
- A window will open for you pay your housing deposit via an e-check or credit card.
- You will get a confirmation page with a message noting your Contract and deposit has been received when you complete the process.
When Residence Life assigns students, these assignments are made based upon contract completion date, roommate and building preferences. As we complete the housing assignments, every effort is made to match students with roommates who share similar preferences and habits. Students are strongly encouraged to use RoommateGateway to search for a roommate.
Contract for University Housing Cancellation Request
If after submitting a Contact for University Housing you elect not to attend Southeast your Housing Deposit will be refunded based upon the schedule below. Before we can cancel your Contract for University Housing your request must be submitted in writing. You can also e-mail your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note this applies only to cancellation request based upon student’s not attending Southeast a Missouri State University and not students who desire to cancel their Contract for University Housing and remain enrolled at the University.
|Postmarked or Received By||Amount of $150 Deposit Returned|
|Through May 1||
Deposit - $25 cancellation fee = $125 refund
|May 2 - June 15||Deposit - $50 cancellation fee = $100 refund|
|June 16 - August 1||Deposit - $100 cancellation fee = $50 refund|
|After August 1||Forfeit Deposit|
Once you have been accepted to the University, you will receive a Contract for University Housing through the mail in your admission packet. If you do not receive this contract, please contact the Office of Residence Life by phone at (573) 651-2274 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
University Residency Requirement
Are you wondering who is required to live in the residence halls? Southeast has established a requirement that all full-time students live on campus for two years. In accordance with the residency requirement, all full-time students must live on campus unless they meet at least one of the following criteria for exemption from the residency requirement:
- Are living with lineal relatives (parent, grandparent) or legal guardian and commuting from their residence within a reasonable distance (50 miles) of Cape Girardeau.
- Are 21 years of age by the beginning of the semester for which they are enrolled.
- Are a military veteran.
- Have completed at least 57 credit hours, which are accepted by the University towards earning a degree from Southeast.
- Are married and/or have dependent children in residence.
- Have lived in University housing at Southeast for two years (four semesters, not including summers).
Download a pdf copy of the Student Residency Release Application.
Petition to Terminate your Housing Contract Request
Contract Cancellations for New, Transfer, and Reentering Students:
The deposit submitted with the Contract for University Housing will be applied toward the contract cancellation fee. If not attending the University, this contract cannot be cancelled prior to official withdrawal at the cancellation of classes. A Contract for University Housing cancelled for approved reasons will result in a refund according to the following schedule:
Request Postmarked Amount of Deposit or Received By: Returned to Student Account:
- Thru May 1st Deposit - $25 cancellation fee = $125 refund
- May 2nd - June 15th Deposit - $50 cancellation fee = $100 refund
- June 16th – August 1st Deposit - $100 cancellation fee = $50 refund
- After August 1st Forfeit deposit
On or after opening day, all new, reentering, and transfer students are subject to cancellation fees as noted for returning students.
Contract Cancellations for Returning Students:
The Contract for University Housing is a legally binding agreement for the full term of the agreement. Contracts are officially accepted and binding 72 hours after receipt by the Office of Residence Life. Any request to cancel this contract must be made in writing and meet the requirements established by the University. Cancellations are not automatic and all requests are subject to review and approval by the University. The Office of Residence Life will state all cancellation decisions in writing.
- Students must contact the Office of Residence Life before moving out of the residence halls to request cancellation of the contract. A Petition to Terminate Contract form must be completed by the student and submitted with all documentation required to verify the stated reason for the request. The request is not considered approved until processed through the Office of Residence Life and a written decision is provided.
- Cancellations will be approved based upon published reasons such as when there is a: (1) change in status with the University (i.e., graduation, transfer, withdrawal, suspension) or (2) change in marital or dependent status (i.e., marriage, dependent children).
- Students approved for a contract cancellation will incur financial obligations as outlined by the Petition to Terminate Contract form.
- Students not required submitting a deposit will be held responsible for the same financial obligations as outlined on the Petition to Terminate Contract form.
- The contract will remain in force and the student will continue to be financially obligated for all room and board fees until the date the University agrees, in writing, to cancel the contract and the student officially checks out of housing. If the student chooses to leave the University, this contract cannot be cancelled prior to your official withdrawal which is the cancellation of classes.
Download a pdf copy of the Petition to Terminate Contract form.
Medical Housing Accommodation Request
In order to consider a request for housing assignments or cancellation requests involving a medical issue the student and health care provider must complete the Disability Accommodation Request (pdf download). Incomplete information or requests that are not related to a disability as outlined in Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and/or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 cannot be honored. Please submit the form to the Office for Residence Life, One University Plaza MS 0055, Cape Girardeau, MO 63701. Students asking for an accommodation in Southeast Missouri State University residence halls are required to follow the this procedure to determine whether accommodations are medically necessary for a disability as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and/or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
To determine your eligibility under the ADA and/or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, your attending physician or other health care provider must complete the enclosed forms and submit them to the Office or Residence Life for review. You are also asked to sign and submit the enclosed release so that your physician/health care provider can communicate directly with the Office or Residence Life about the health condition for which you are seeking accommodation. Please complete this information as soon as possible. Delays in providing this information will delay any considerations concerning your request for a different housing assignment.
Please note that a decision must be made concerning the medical necessity of your disability request before any changes to your housing assignment can be made. If a determination is made that your disability qualifies for reasonable accommodation in the residence halls, a change in your housing assignment will be made. The Office of Residence Life will contact you as soon as your new room and roommate are assigned. If it is determined that you are not eligible for different accommodations, because you do not meet the disability requirements under the law, your current residence hall assignment will remain active and the Office of Residence Life will contact you concerning your request.