Director - Recreation Services
The Director for Recreation Services is responsible for leading the programmatic, facility, and staff of a comprehensive recreation and wellness department. The Director has responsibility for multiple facilities, a wide range of student and employee recreation programs, and supervision of professional and student staff members working to accomplish the department’s mission of providing quality facilities, innovative programs and services that meet the diverse recreational needs of the University community. The department strives to enhance the quality of life, increase socialization, and encourage lifelong recreation.
- Supervise professional, clerical, graduate, and student staff members
- Oversee annual $7 million Recreation Services budget
- Develop a comprehensive wellness program for students and employees
- Manage two recreation facilities, aquatic center, intramural fields, high/low ropes course, and other recreation facilities
- Coordinate external group rental and usage of campus recreation facilities as revenue source
- Provide leadership for the personal training and group fitness programs
- Provide leadership for the development and growth of club sports and campus intramural programs
- Oversee process, policies, and procedures to ensure risk management measures are in place with students and guests utilizing the recreation facilities
- Coordinate with the University the Annual Campus Wellness Screening
- Lead the department’s development of a 10 year capital improvement plan, including related fiscal planning to meet the plan’s objectives
- Provide leadership in the tracking and assessment of department programs and the overall effectiveness of the wellness program for employees
- Creates and maintains partnerships with academic departments to provide practical hands on experiences for some students in specific academic disciplines
- Serve as a member of the Students Success and Enrollment Management Council, with responsibility for providing a comprehensive outside the classroom experience for students
- Master's degree in Recreation Administration, Sports Management, Higher Education or related field
- Progressively responsible professional experience in the collegiate recreation field and administration of multiple recreation facilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with campus recreation programs, facility maintenance and operation
- Excellent management, organizational, and planning skills
- Experience with budget and financial management
- Demonstrated ability to foster and enhance student involvement, learning, leadership and development through programming, services and student employment opportunities
- Experience supervising full time staff
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with large scale event management
- Experience with capital project development and construction
- Experience with marketing services and programs
- Demonstrated understanding of and strong commitment to customer service orientation
- Demonstrated commitment to working with multi-cultural populations and awareness of issues affecting women and minorities
Compensation: Total anticipated compensation commensurate with experience and education. The University provides an excellent benefits package including retirement, medical and life insurance, paid time off, sick leave, holidays, individual and dependent tuition benefits.
Application Deadline: To ensure full consideration, application materials must be received by May 24, 2013. The position is available July 1, 2013, and will remain open until filled.
Required Information: Submit a letter of interest addressing all position qualifications and how you learned of this position, a current resume, and the names and telephone numbers of three professional references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to Dana Seabaugh, Employment Specialist, Human Resources, Southeast Missouri State University, One University Plaza, Cape Girardeau, MO 63701.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY, AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER