All new students receive a two or three-day orientation program upon arrival for IEP studies. This program includes:
- An overview of the IEP and the University
- Academic and social expectations
- Information on various student services
- An orientation to the greater Cape Girardeau community
- Discussion on topics such as housing, transportation, banking, and shopping
The IEP orientation also includes the testing for student's language proficiencies in listening, speaking, reading, writing, and grammar/structure. Results of this testing determine the appropriate level placement of students in the various subject area courses.