Live Chat Support Software

Future Students

Newly Admitted Students


Future Students

What programs of study does Southeast Missouri State University offer?

Southeast offers a comprehensive set of Bachelor (undergraduate) programs of study and a wide variety of Master (graduate/post graduate) programs. The University also has an Intensive English Program for students who need additional English language study before entering a degree program. Detailed information about our academic programs is available at

Am I an international student?

Any student who is NOT a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the United States is considered an international student. International students usually need an F or J visa to study in the United States.

What are admission requirements for international students?

  1. Application form
  2. $40 Non-refundable application fee
  3. Financial proof
  4. Academic credentials (Official transcripts and degree certificates/diplomas)
  5. English proficiency
  6. Passport
  7. Transfer and Graduate applicants may require additional materials

Please visit for detailed information.

How do I apply?

To apply, please complete the online application and upload supplemental items.

When are the deadlines?

For undergraduate (Bachelor’s degree) applicants, we have a rolling admission unless you are applying for the Merit Scholarship, you need to apply by the specific deadline.

For graduate (Master’s degree) applicants, please refer to the following link:

Could you waive the application fee?

Unfortunately, we cannot waive the application fee, as this covers costs associated with processing and mailing. 

How long is a TOEFL/IELTS score valid?

The TOEFL/IELTS score is valid for two years.

Do you require SAT or ACT?

No, we do not unless you are applying for the Merit Scholarships.

What does it cost to attend?

Our annual estimated costs for international students can be found here:

Do you have scholarships for international students

Yes, we offer scholarships to international students.

Newly admitted students in good academic standing are eligible for the Office of International Education and Services scholarship, in the amount of $2,000.00 ($1,000.00 per semester), starting in your first fall or spring term. Please check the following link to learn about other scholarships available.

Can I work while studying?

Yes, you can work ONLY on campus and the limit is 20 hours per week during the regular semester and 40 hours per week during the fall, spring, and summer breaks. You can read more about international student employment here:

Can I study part time?

No, international students cannot study part time. U.S. immigration law requires that all international students on F1 student visas maintain full-time enrollment. Our enrollment requirements can be found here:

Do you offer conditional admission?

Yes, we do.

All available undergraduate programs offer conditional admission. Only some graduate programs offer conditional admission. Graduate programs available for conditional admission can be found at Please note that some graduate programs require a higher GPA for conditional offers.

How does conditional admission work?

Conditional admission allows a student to postpone submission of the required English proficiency test scores, until English proficiency is improved. Students who seek conditional admission attend the Intensive English Programs prior to enrolling in undergraduate or graduate courses.

For undergraduate study, students who complete all level 8 courses of the Intensive English Program (IEP) subjects with 'C' or better may enter the university directly without further TOEFL or IELTS.

For graduate students with conditional acceptance offers, completion of the IEP Grad CAP with 'B' or better waives the TOEFL/IELTS requirement. However, other program requirements such as GRE or GMAT must be completed by the time the student wishes to begin graduate study. No enrollment in graduate courses are permitted until all conditions are met.

Do you offer Intensive English Program (IEP)?

Yes, we do. We offer 5 sessions per year, 8 weeks each. Entry terms are January, March, June, August, and October every year. You can read more about our IEP here:

Which programs offer conditional admission?

All available undergraduate programs offer conditional admission. You will find a list of graduate programs that offer conditional admission here. Please note that some graduate programs require a higher GPA for conditional offers.

I have 5.0 in IELTS, will I get admitted?

Unfortunately, we cannot accept less than 5.5 in IELTS for undergraduate studies. If you are interested, you can apply for conditional admission in which you will study at our IEP to improve your English language and once you successfully finish it, you will enroll into academic courses.

How do I get in touch with a university official or check on my application status?

By emailing or completing the inquiry form online

When will I receive a decision about my application?

Applications for Intensive English Programs or Undergraduate level are usually reviewed and processed within 1 week of receipt. Email notices are sent to students who are missing documents, as well as those who have been accepted. All email notices are sent to the email address listed on the application form.

Applications for Graduate level are usually reviewed by the graduate department for an admission decision. This process can take 2-3 weeks, although some programs may need longer. (Some programs have a single application deadline, after which all files are reviewed.) Graduate applications must be reviewed by three individual offices, which accounts for the slightly longer process.

Email or complete the inquiry form online to check if there are any other pending requirements.

How many transfer credits will I receive?

Credit transfer information is a separate process completed after acceptance. Please allow 2-4 weeks after your acceptance notification for the credit review. Once complete, the Registrar's Office will email your SEMO email with further information about number of credits accepted and remaining credits for your chosen program of study.

Transfer hours are reviewed on a course-by-course basis. First, we check to see that the university/college and credentials are formally recognized as approved programs by the government in the home country. Next, we evaluate each course towards our curriculum to determine matching courses and available subjects. Finally, we use our Degree Works system to apply these credits to your program requirements to reveal remaining hours for graduation. After this initial evaluation is complete, your academic department can review your hours to determine if any waivers or substitutions are appropriate.

Please note that final credit evaluations are not given until all official documentation is submitted. Some students will also need to provide course descriptions to finalize the process; if needed, you will be contacted by email with this request.

I could not join Southeast last term. Can I defer my application?

Yes, we permit students to defer their previous application for up to one year beyond the original application date (i.e. Fall 2017 may be deferred to Spring 2018 or Fall 2018). We require that the student complete a new application so that we have updated information. After one year, all new application materials must be submitted. All deferral materials are mailed to the person or agency who submitted the original application (no exceptions).

Both completed and incomplete applications may be deferred. Students who were previously admitted must meet the current academic requirements for the deferral to be issued. If the requirements are no longer met (i.e. required test score increases), the application will be forwarded to pending status until the missing items can be submitted.

What is a Graduate Assistantship?

The graduate assistantship (GA) is designed to provide support for a student during full-time graduate study. It is an opportunity for the graduate student to serve in a professional role while establishing a professional relationship with faculty and/or administrators. There are three kinds of assistantships: teaching, research and administrative. Graduate assistantships cover a full tuition and fees waiver for up to 24 hours of graduate coursework annually as well as paying a stipend of $8,467 per year. International students that receive a GA position will not be eligible for the international scholarship.

How Can I Apply for an Assistantship?

You must be accepted to your graduate program prior to applying for a GA position. There are several academic and non academic positions available to eligible candidates across the various departments at Southeast. The allocations can be found at

Once admitted, you may check to see if there are any openings or contact the academic department of your major or any non academic department that has GA allocations to check for openings. If a position is available, the individual department will guide you on the procedure to submit an application. Please note that procedures and deadlines vary by department. Many departments begin the applicant review process in the previous fall or spring term, so we recommend applying for graduate studies (and taking any required tests) early in order to confirm your admission in time to apply for available positions.

What are the faculty qualifications?

90% of faculty have their doctoral degrees and they are very involved in their fields. 

How many international students are at Southeast?

We have close to 1,000 international students, making up approximately 10% of the overall student population. More information on our facts can be found at

Where is Southeast Missouri State University located?

Southeast Missouri State University is in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, United States. Also, check out Cape Girardeau's Location Map.

How can I get more about Cape Girardeau?

Information about the city of Cape Girardeau and the surrounding area is available at the following website


New Students

Do I Have to Have Health Insurance?

Due to the increased costs of healthcare in the United States, the university requires all international students to purchase health insurance offered through Southeast Missouri State University. However, students sponsored by approved exchange partnerships or governments are exempt if evidence of equivalent coverage is provided before the first day of classes each semester.

When Can I Purchase Health Insurance?

All international students are automatically covered and charged for health insurance. You should expect to see this charge on your student bill during the first few weeks of the semester. You may use the policy once the semester has started, even if you have not received the charges on your account or accessed your health insurance card to print/download.

How Do I Obtain a Student ID Card?

Student ID card services is located at the University Center’s Information Desk (3rd floor). You will need your student ID number, which can be found in your acceptance letter (S0XXXXXX), as well as proof of your identity (passport). During the Check-In event on the first day of International Student Orientation, student ambassadors and volunteers will assist you in getting your student ID card.

Is Orientation Mandatory?

Yes, orientation is mandatory for new students, including transfer students. All new international students enrolling in university level courses must attend International Student Orientation. All new international students enrolling in Intensive English Program must attend the IEP Orientation. All new international students will have a one-time orientation charge applied to their student account. Students who change education levels (IEP to UG, UG to GR) are therefore not required to attend a second orientation.

Will I Be Charged for Orientation?

All new international students will have a one-time orientation charge of $150 applied to their student account.

How Can I Request Airport Pick-Up?

Our office offers pick-up only during our recommended arrival dates. If you who wish to be picked up from the airport you must:

  • Arrive at Lambert St. Louis International Airport OR Cape Girardeau Regional Airport
  • Arrive on the recommended arrival dates (please refer to your acceptance letter for your recommended arrival dates).

Once you have scheduled your arrival, please complete the Arrival Form. If you have later schedule changes, you can notify us using the same form. You are not required to use our pick-up services, but we request that you do submit your travel information in case of any unexpected delays or problems.

Where Can I Open a Bank Account?

You can open a bank account with any recognized bank in Cape Girardeau. However, many students pick U.S. Bank, as it has a branch on campus. To open an account with U.S. Bank, you need your student ID card, passport, Form I-20, current local address and permanent home address. During the Check-In event on the first day of International Student Orientation, there will be student ambassadors and volunteers to help you with this process if you choose to open a bank account with U.S. Bank on campus.


International Center – Located at:
939 College Hill
Cape Girardeau, MO

International Education and Services
One University Plaza, MS2000
Cape Girardeau, Missouri 63701
Staff Directory
international lab badge