News and Events
- Dr. Dan Daly is presenting “Pattern Avoidance in Motzkin Paths” at Permutation Patterns
2018 at Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire on July 12, 2018.
- Dr. Haohao Wang presented "Syzygies and Implicitization for Translational Surfaces"
at the 9th International Conference on Curves and Surfaces in Arachon, France on June
- Dalton Cowan, an upcoming senior Mathematics-Actuarial Science major, was recently
featured in the Southeast Newswire regarding his summer internship at Allstate. Congratulations,
Dalton! Read the Newswire article
- Congratulations to Dr. Peter Oman and Dr. Emmanuel Thompson for promotion to associate
professor with tenure in the Department of Mathematics!
- Dr. Tim Wencewicz - mathematics major, Southeast alumnus and current faculty member
at Washington University in St. Louis - received a 2018 Sloan Research Fellowship.
Read the Newswire article
- Congratulations to Ms. Ann Schnurbusch, Dr. Andrew Schwartz and Dr. Yanping Xia for
completing ten years of service in the Department of Mathematics at Southeast!
- Congratulations to Dr. Craig Roberts and Dr. Jerzy Wojdylo for completing twenty years
of service in the Department of Mathematics at Southeast!
- Kayla Cowan, “A Comparison of Multiple Imputation Methods for ‘Unknown’ Stage at Diagnosis
in Cancer Data”, Master's Thesis Defense, 1:30 p.m. on Friday, April 20, 2018, in
Johnson Hall 219.
- The Department hosted the annual Math Field Day contest for local area high schools
on April 12, 2018. Approximately 650 students from 30 local area high schools participated.
- The Department will host the MCTM Elementary Regional Mathematics Contest, Saturday,
April 14, 2018. The event will take place in Dempster Hall with the awards ceremony
in Academic Hall Auditorium.
- Four students gave presentations at the Missouri Section of the Mathematical Association
of America meeting, April 6-7, 2018, at Drury University, Springfield, MO.
- Arham Chowdhury, "A Conceptual Proof of Gödel’s First Incompleteness Theorem and its
Groundbreaking Impact on Our Understanding of the Universe" (Advisors: Dr. McAllister,
- Andrew Crutcher, "Translational Surfaces" (Advisor: Dr. Wang)
- Amy Cunningham, "Modeling and Forecasting US Mortality: A Multivariate Time Series
Approach" (Advisor: Dr. Thompson)
- Annie Ramey, "Pattern Avoidance in Motzkin Paths" (Advisor: Dr. Daly)
- Two faculty members gave presentations at the Missouri Section of the Mathematical
Association of America meeting, April 6-7, 2018, at Drury University, Springfield,
MO. Their talks were:
- Daniel Daly, "Motzkin Numbers, Patterns and Paths"
- Haohao Wang, "Rational Translational Surfaces Generated by Two Rational Space Curves"
- Two teams of three students each competed in the Missouri Collegiate Mathematics Competition,
April 5-6, 2018, in Springfield, MO. Team A was Dalton Cowan, Andrew Crutcher, and
Drake Jahraus. Team B was Andrew Banning, Arham Chowdhury, and Annie Ramey. Our teams
tested their problem-solving skills against 31 other teams from Missouri.
- SAME Presentation: "Math and Science Standards in Missouri and the Resources Provided
by the RPDC" - presented by Julie Antill of the Regional Professional Development
Center (RPDC), 12 p.m., March 28, Johnson Hall 221.
- Sarah Cockrell will present her graduate paper “Some Problems Related to the Chinese
Remainder Theorem and Euler-Phi Function” on March 27, 2018 at 2 p.m. in Johnson Hall
219. All students are welcome!
- Southeast alumnus Mark Fraser, a former researcher in aerospace and defense for the
US military and current astronomy instructor at Central New Mexico Community College
will present “My Career in Aerospace and Defense” on March 27, 2018 at 12 p.m. in
Johnson Hall 223. All students are welcome!
- Amanda Archer will present her graduate paper “The History and Proof of the Four-Color
Theorem” on March 26, 2018 at 1 p.m. in Johnson Hall 219. All students are welcome!
- Arham Chowdhury, a senior Applied Mathematics major, will give a student presentation
entitled “A Conceptual Proof of Godel’s First Incompleteness Theorem and its Groundbreaking
Impact on Our Understanding of the Universe” on March 26, 2018 at 12 p.m. in Johnson
Hall 219. All students are welcome!
- Math Club Presentation: “Chaos Theory and Fractal Geometry: A Brief Introduction”
- presented by Dr. Cheryl McAllister, 12 p.m., March 21, Johnson Hall 219.
- Math Club Presentation: “Check that digit” – presented by Dr. Jerzy Wojdylo, 12 p.m.,
March 7, Johnson Hall 219.
- Dr. Andrew Schwartz presented "Matchable Trees: Distance Distribution" at the 49th
Southeastern International Conference on Combinatorics, Graph Theory and Computing,
March 5, 2018, Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL
- The department hosted a qualifying round of the Missouri Council of Teachers of Mathematics
(MCTM) Elementary School Mathematics Competition on March 2. Thirty-eight students
participated in the competition which was organized by Mrs. Ann Schnurbusch. The department
will host the regional competition on April 14.
- Andrew Crutcher won the February Problem of the Month competition earning a $5 Starbucks
- Dr. Michael Presho presented a talk ‘Application of a constrained mass-conservative
generalized multiscale finite element method to flow models’ at the Finite Element
Rodeo, February 23-24, 2018, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA
- Dr. Craig Roberts presented an invited talk "Mathematical Insights about Numbers,
Formulas and Equations from Geometric, Algebraic and Historical Connections" at the
Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics / Southern Section 33rd Annual Conference
on Teaching Mathematics, February 15, 2018, Southern Illinois University - Carbondale
and John A. Logan College