The Department of Middle and Secondary Education at Southeast offers a variety of field and learning experiences. The field and clinical experiences progress through a series of four consecutive blocks designed to provide the teacher candidates with a progressive and comprehensive training program. Faculty place teacher candidates in area schools to provide a variety of experiences within the teacher candidate’s range of certification with qualified classroom teachers. The sites used for selecting assignments for the Block II and Block III teacher candidates range from a small, rural one-building high school to large multi-building campuses to private four-year high schools. This range allows for as much diversity as is available in southeast Missouri area schools.
Among the benefits of attending Southeast as a Middle and Secondary Education major are the following:
- Southeast is the nation’s only two-time winner of the prestigious Christa McAuliffe Showcase for Excellence Award presented by the American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU).
- Southeast’s education program is fully accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). This national accreditation and Southeast’s strong program requirements and reputation offer our graduates enhanced opportunities when searching for and obtaining employment nationwide.
- Southeast’s education program differs from that of many other universities by providing you with extensive field experience, beginning with first-hand classroom training and observation during your freshman year and continuing through student teaching during your senior year. As a student in Southeast’s education program, you will receive a full semester of on-the-job student teaching experience, as opposed to the traditional eight or nine weeks of training, thus better preparing you for a career in education.
- Southeast’s education program’s unique block format in addition to providing increased professional experience, allows you to meet other students with your major early on, thus enabling you to form common bonds and establish professional relationships with others in your field.
- As a student in Southeast’s education program, you will have the opportunity to personally experience another culture’s educational system through international student teaching programs.
- Southeast’s education program is one of 20 national model programs selected by the AASCU. Our program was one of four nationwide cited for innovative curricular development.
- Southeast’s College of Education received the “Best Practice Award for Global and International Teacher Education” from the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE).
- The Missouri Board of Education has cited Southeast’s education program as “Exemplary.”
- Southeast is a member of the prestigious Renaissance Group of Institutions, an organization developed to improve the education of teachers.
- Southeast students benefit from small classes and a low student-faculty ratio.
- Undergraduate majors are offered in 12 different content areas
- Graduate degrees available in Educational Studies or Education Technology
- All professional education courses are taught by professors, not graduate students.