The Department of Middle and Secondary Education at Southeast offers a variety of
field and learning experiences. The field and clinical experiences progress through
a series of four consecutive blocks designed to provide the teacher candidates with
a progressive and comprehensive training program. Faculty place teacher candidates
in area schools to provide a variety of experiences within the teacher candidate’s
range of certification with qualified classroom teachers. The sites used for selecting
assignments for the Block II and Block III teacher candidates range from a small,
rural one-building high school to large multi-building campuses to private four-year
high schools. This range allows for as much diversity as is available in southeast
Missouri area schools.
Among the benefits of attending Southeast as a Middle and Secondary Education major
are the following:
- Southeast is the nation’s only two-time winner of the prestigious Christa McAuliffe
Showcase for Excellence Award presented by the American Association of State Colleges
and Universities (AASCU).
- Southeast’s education program is fully accredited by the National Council for Accreditation
of Teacher Education (NCATE). This national accreditation and Southeast’s strong program
requirements and reputation offer our graduates enhanced opportunities when searching
for and obtaining employment nationwide.
- Southeast’s education program differs from that of many other universities by providing
you with extensive field experience, beginning with first-hand classroom training and observation during your freshman
year and continuing through student teaching during your senior year. As a student
in Southeast’s education program, you will receive a full semester of on-the-job student
teaching experience, as opposed to the traditional eight or nine weeks of training,
thus better preparing you for a career in education.
- Southeast’s education program’s unique block format in addition to providing increased
professional experience, allows you to meet other students with your major early on,
thus enabling you to form common bonds and establish professional relationships with
others in your field.
- Southeast’s education program is one of 20 national model programs selected by the
AASCU. Our program was one of four nationwide cited for innovative curricular development.
- Southeast’s College of Education received the “Best Practice Award for Global and
International Teacher Education” from the American Association of Colleges for Teacher
- The Missouri Board of Education has cited Southeast’s education program as “Exemplary.”
- Southeast is a member of the prestigious Renaissance Group of Institutions, an organization
developed to improve the education of teachers.
- Southeast students benefit from small classes and a low student-faculty ratio.
- Undergraduate majors are offered in 12 different content areas
- Graduate degrees available in Educational Studies or Education Technology
- All professional education courses are taught by professors, not graduate students.