The Department of Music at Southeast offers both a variety of performing and learning experiences usually found at a large university, and the individual attention and relaxed atmosphere expected of a small college. Among the benefits of attending Southeast as a music major are the following:
- Fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music, which recognizes our program as one of the best in the nation.
- Undergraduate majors are offered in education, performance and composition.
- Music Education graduates achieve job placement percentage of over 95%!
- We offer a rewarding cultural and intellectual learning environment.
- Members of the Golden Eagles Marching Band are rewarded with guaranteed scholarships which increase with each year of membership!
- Southeast has a small-school atmosphere with world-class faculty.
- Scholarships are offered for both music majors and minors.
- Southeast has the most affordable tuition rates among all state universities.
- Students have a wide variety of high quality performance opportunities including bands (concert and jazz), choirs, orchestra and chamber music ensembles.
- You will study with professors, not graduate students.
- The Holland School of Visual and Performing Arts is now housed in Southeast's River Campus with state-of-the-art facilities.
Our talented faculty offer instruction in all areas of musical study, including music education, performance, composition, electronic composition and world music. This outstanding group of educators has performed both nationally and abroad, with recognition in Canada, China, Czech Republic, England, Ireland, Japan, Scotland and the Ukraine. We have numerous performances of university ensembles, faculty and student recitals, and guest recitals at the River Campus. Tickets can be purchased for all events at the River Campus Box Office by calling 573-651-2265.
Formal on-campus auditions will be held on November 16, 2013, February 1, 2014 and March 1, 2014 at the River Campus. If you would like to audition on a different date, please indicate your choice when you fill out our online application (see link below).
- Please complete our Online Music Scholarship Application and schedule your audition date (dates are provided in the application).
- Have 2 individuals who know your work (high school music teacher, principal, private instructor) fill out the Scholarship Recommendation Letter and submit it via postal mail prior to your audition.