American College Dance Festival Association Concert March 27 at River Campusby News Bureau on
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo., March 13, 2013 – Southeast Missouri State University’s School of Visual and Performing Arts and Department of Theatre and Dance will host the American College Dance Festival Association Central Region Conference March 24-28.
The central region includes five states: Missouri, Oklahoma, Kansas, Illinois and Indiana. The conference will include three judged dance concerts with three nationally acclaimed dance artists, two informal concerts and a Gala Performance open to the public on March 27 at 7:30 p.m. in the Donald C. Bedell Performance Hall at Southeast’s River Campus.
Dr. Philip Nacy, chair of Southeast’s Department of Theatre and Dance, said, “The styles of dance culminate in an evening of spectacular performances drawn from the best of the festival’s participants.”
Dr. Marc Strauss, professor of dance at Southeast, said, “the American College Dance Festival Association, is the primary conference for the adjudication of faculty and student choreography and performance in the United States. This is a real honor for both our University and the Cape Girardeau community, and is the first time the River Campus has hosted a national event of this kind.”
Over the course of four days, approximately 400 students from 22 colleges and universities will take dozens of dance classes in ballet, jazz, tap, modern, contemporary, hip hop and other styles with artist-scholars and have their choreography and performances adjudicated by nationally recognized dance professionals in formal and informal concerts.
Colleges participating in the conference include:
• Cottey College in Nevada, Mo.
• East Central University in Ada, Okla.
• Illinois State University in Normal, Ill.
• Indiana University in Bloomington, Ind.
• Kansas State University in Manhattan, Kan.
• Knox College in Galesburg, Ill.
• Lindenwood University in St. Charles, Mo.
• Missouri State University in Springfield, Mo.
• Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, Okla.
• Purdue University in W. Lafayette, Ind.
• Southeast Missouri State University in Cape Girardeau, Mo.
• Southern Illinois University-Carbondale in Carbondale, Ill.
• Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville in Edwardsville, Ill.
• St. Gregory’s University in Shawnee, Okla.
• University of Central Missouri in Warrensburg, Mo.
• University of Central Oklahoma in Edmond, Okla.
• University of Kansas in Lawrence, Kan.
• Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, N.C.
• Washington University at St. Louis in St. Louis, Mo.
• Webster University in St. Louis, Mo.
• Wichita State University in Wichita, Kan.
Trebien Pollard, a well-known guest artist from New York City, will teach an audition class on March 27 from 3-4:30 p.m. in the Rosemary Berkel and Harry L. Crisp II Museum.
Diane DeFries, American College Dance Festival Association National Director, plans to attend along with several board members, including current President of the American College Dance Festival Association Holly Williams, chair of the Department of Dance at the University of Texas-Austin.
This is the second time Southeast has hosted the conference. The conference was held in Cape Girardeau in 2001 as well.
For more information about the American College Dance Festival Association Conference at Southeast, please visit http://www.regonline.com/builder/site/default.aspx?EventID=1123712, or view the ACDFACentral13 page on Facebook.
Tickets are on Sale Now.
Tickets may be purchased by contacting the River Campus Box Office, located in the Cultural Arts Center, 518 S. Fountain St., weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., or by calling (573) 651-2265. Tickets also may be purchased at RiverCampusEvents.com.