Our program is designed to help make the transition to college life easier. We encourage students and their family members to ask lots of questions, actively participate in small group sessions, develop friendships and learn everything you can about Southeast.
By participating in Southeast’s orientation programs, students and their family members will gain a great understanding of the University and be better prepared to enter into the first transition to college.
First STEP Dates for Spring 2014 Admission
- Friday, November 15, 2013
- Saturday, January 18, 2014
First STEP Dates for Fall 2014 Admission
- Saturday, February 22, 2014
- Saturday, March 1, 2014
- Friday, March 7, 2014
- Friday, April 4, 2014
- Friday, April 25, 2014
- Friday, May 2, 2014
- Saturday, May 10, 2014
- Friday, June 13, 2014
- Saturday, June 21, 2014
- Friday, July 18, 2014
- Friday, August 22, 2014
What is the Purpose of First STEP?
- To assist students in understanding the mission of Southeast Missouri State University.
- To help students understand Southeast's expectations of them.
- To provide information concerning academic policies, procedures, requirements and programs.
- To promote an awareness of co-curricular opportunities.
- To help students develop familiarity with the physical surroundings.
- To provide information and exposure to available University services.
- To identify costs in attending Southeast, both in terms of dollars and personal commitment.
- To improve the retention rate of new students.
- To provide opportunities for new students to discuss expectations and perceptions of the campus with returning students.
- To assist students in determining their purpose in attending Southeast and developing positive relationships with faculty, staff, peers, and other individuals in the campus community.
The First STEP programs are held in the University Center on the corner of Henderson Street and Normal Street. Please park in the lot on Broadway next to Imo's Pizza, the lot across from Vandiver Hall on Henderson or the visitor lot across from the University Center. A parking permit, along with a schedule of the day's events, will be mailed to you approximately two weeks before your reserved First STEP date. If using a GPS device for directions, the following address will set your destination to our visitor parking lot: 373 N. Henderson, Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
All students will be charged a $65 nonrefundable orientation fee, which covers all Southeast orientation events including, meals for the student and his or her family members at First STEP, materials, and staffing as well as meals, materials and staffing for Opening Week activities. This fee will be charged to the student’s account AFTER you attend First STEP orientation.
First STEP will provide highly trained faculty and staff to advise and assist in constructing your first semester schedule. You and a small group of students with similar majors will work with an advisor in your anticipated field of study. If you are undecided (which we refer to as "Exploratory"), you will be advised by an advisor in the School of University Studies.
The Orientation Handbook
As entering Southeast students, information about all the university resources can become overwhelming. To help you along, we have created an Orientation Handbook which lists information on classes, advising and enrollment, campus living, financial aid, and other institutional resources. All students will receive their handbook when they check in at First STEP orientation.
Writing Placement Exam
During First STEP, some students will take the Writing Placement Exam. All students must take the Writing Placement Exam unless they meet one of the below conditions:
- Student has an ACT English subscore of 22 or greater.
- Student has already taken an English composition course and received college credit.
- Student has spoken with the Director of Writing Assessment, and he has agreed to evaluate the student's writing portfolio.
Hotels and Lodging
If you are looking for a place to stay while you are here for First STEP Orientation, below is a listing of hotels in Cape Girardeau with their location and phone numbers.
Please note that theDrury Suites – Cape & Jackson, Drury Lodge, or Pear Tree Inn all offer a Southeast family discount. Please provide the following promotional code if you will be staying with one of these hotels: 317573
Rt. K & I-55
(573) 334-3000 or 800-AT-A-TREE
Rt. K & I-55
(573) 334-7151 or 800-DRURY-INN
Rt. K & I-55
(573) 339-9500 or 800-DRURY-INN
Rt. K & I-55
(573) 651-3000 or 800-HAMPTON
Auburn Place Hotel & Suites
Rt. K & I-55
(573) 651-4486 or 800-331-0445
Holiday Inn Express
Rt. K & I-55
(573) 334-4491 or 800-315-2621
Super 8 Motel
I-55 & Hwy 61
Bellevue Bed & Breakfast
(573) 335-3302 or 800-768-6822
Neumeyer's Bed & Breakfast
25 South Lorimer
River Walk Bed & Breakfast
Annie Laurie's Overnight Cottage
(573) 339-1301 or (573) 335-0999
- First STEP is an all day program, so be prepared to be at Southeast until 5 p.m.
- Be On Time - Checking in late will delay your enrollment process.
- Display your parking as instructed.
- Bring a copy of any college credit that you have already received.
Things to Remember
Make sure your ACT, ASSET, or TOEFL score is on file with Admissions. You may wish to bring a copy of your most recent scores in case of any discrepancies.
Be sure to check the deadline for all incidental fees, residence hall room and meal plan charges, and general fees, to be paid in full or to be enrolled in the installment payment plan. If the University does not receive payment by the deadline, you risk having your class schedule, residence hall room assignment, and meal plan cancelled.
If you achieve at least a 3.4 (on a 4.0 scale) high school cumulative GPA and a composite ACT score of 25, you are eligible for Southeast's Jane Stephens Honors Program and should attend the Honors session held during First STEP.
Every student must return his/her Residence Life Agreement (with $150 deposit) or a request for release from the on-campus residency requirement to the Office of Residence Life.