Step-by-Step Admission Requirements
Note: If considering application for admission for fall 2018 or later, contact your
advisor or the Department of Nursing for updated requirements.
- Please make sure you are eligible to apply. You must have at least a 2.800 overall GPA to apply. Applications for students with less than a 2.8 GPA will be returned. Studies show
that students who do well in the sciences are more likely to be successful in nursing
school. For this reason, applicants are admitted to the nursing program on a competitive basis using the overall college grade point average (GPA) plus the top three grades in the four required sciences. Please see the following example,
which indicates how a student with a considerably lower overall GPA could conceivably
take the seat of a student with a much higher overall GPA. It is imperative that
students do well in the sciences with at least three grades of A encouraged:
|A & P I Grade = A
|A & P II Grade = A
|Chemistry Grade = C
|Microbiology Grade = A
|Add top 3 of 4 to overall GPA TOTAL =
- You must have applied and been admitted to Southeast Missouri State University in
order for evaluators to access information in the student database. Your assigned
Southeast Student ID# and Southeast e-mail address should be included on the application
- The application should contain a correct mailing address where you wish to receive
any correspondence from the Department of Nursing. All e-mail correspondence will be directed to the Southeast E-mail account, so be sure that the Southeast Key is activated and your password is working properly.
- Students are required to have all university studies and pre-requisite courses completed before beginning any nursing coursework. The seven pre-requisite courses are A&P 1, A&P 2, Chemistry, Microbiology, Statistics,
Nutrition, and Human Development. At the time the student submits his or her application, three of the four sciences must be completed and all other coursework must be in progress. Evaluators should be able to confirm
enrollment in any remaining courses by pulling up a student’s Southeast degree audit
or reviewing submitted transcripts.
- If you do not have all of your coursework completed or in progress and feel that your
circumstances merit special consideration, you must explain in writing why you feel you should be allowed an exception and outline how you plan to complete
all requirements BEFORE beginning nursing coursework. The letter should be addressed to the Student Affairs Committee and attached to
the application. Do not send the letter under separate cover. AN APPEAL LETTER DOES NOT GUARANTEE SPECIAL ADMISSION and it is important to note that students who have followed all instructions and
met all requirements will be considered first.
- Special Information for Transfer Students and Students with a conferred Associate’s
Degree: With an associate’s degree, the lower-level university studies courses are typically
waived; however, two of the upper-level (300-level) interdisciplinary courses are
required of both associate’s degree students and transfer students. These courses
are unique to Southeast and must be completed here. Students should make sure that
they have met all university requirements and nursing requirements.
- Transfer students should also include an unofficial copy of allcollege transcripts in order for the application to be considered. Applications without
unofficial transcripts attached will be returned to the student.
- Please fill out the application completely and legibly in either black or blue ink.
You may also type the application if you choose.