The applicant meets both the Southeast Missouri State University graduate school and
Department of Nursing pre-requisites for admission to the MSN program of study.
- A baccalaureate degree with an upper division major in nursing from a program accredited
by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or the Commission
on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- A minimum grade point average of 3.25 on a 4.0 scale.
- Current licensure as a registered professional nurse that allows practice within the
state of Missouri.
- Evidence of professional liability insurance of $1,000,000/$3,000,000 coverage.
- A course in health assessment or demonstrated proficiency in health assessment which
includes physical examination and history with a grade “B” or higher.
- An introductory course in statistics (graduate or undergraduate) with a grade “B”
- Current CPR (professional level) certification.
- Statement of Academic Goals and Objectives for graduate study/advanced practice.
- Clinical experience as a registered nurse prior to admission is strongly recommended.
- Continuation into the family nurse practitioner specialty courses (NS638 and NS639)
requires grades of "B" or better in NS625, NS636, NS628, and NS629 and seat availability.
The applicant who does not meet all of the program pre-requisites may be granted provisional
admission. Normally, provisional admission will be granted for one semester only,
so the applicant may meet regular admission criteria.
The applicant who does not meet the G.P.A. requirement may be granted probationary
admission. When the G.P.A. is below 3.25 but is between a 2.90 and 3.24 and the applicant
has achieved a G.P.A. of 3.25 during the last 60 hours of undergraduate work, the
Graduate Program Committee may grant probationary admission stipulated upon the successful
completion of the first nine hours of course work applicable to the program with a
grade of “B” or higher for each credit hour. Students not meeting the course work
grade requirement are subject to dismissal.
Note: An Admission Procedure document is also available here: MSN Admission Procedure
- Complete an application for admission to the Southeast Missouri State University School
of Graduate Studies.
- Request official transcripts of ALL completed academic work be sent to the Graduate
Office (transcripts from Southeast will be requested by the Graduate Office).
- Complete the Master of Science in nursing application. Submit the completed application
and evidence of the following to the Department of Nursing:
- Current Missouri licensure as a registered professional nurse
- Appropriate liability insurance
- Current CPR certification
- An introductory course in statistics (a transcript)
- Client assessment skills as demonstrated by transcript or verification by Department
- Send a written statement of academic goals and objectives to:
Director of Graduate Studies
Department of Nursing
Southeast Missouri State University
One University Plaza MS8300
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701
Instructions for writing this statement can be found here: Statement of Goals/Objectives Instructions
- Contact the Director of Graduate Studies at (573) 651-2871 for any additional information.
Interviews can be arranged and are encouraged.
- Applications will be evaluated by the Graduate Program Committee of the Department
- Applicants will receive written notice of the Graduate Program Committee’s decision.
Note: Applicants who are denied admission will have the opportunity to appeal to the Department
of Nursing Graduate Program Committee.