What kind of insurance does my student need to protect her computer, stereo and other personal possessions?


Check with your existing homeowner's policy.Many policies will cover the personal possessions of college students living in residence halls. You may, however, need to purchase additional coverage for items such as computers, jewelry, cameras, etc.

If your student rents an apartment, however, the insurance company likely will consider the apartment to be his/her primary address and that may necessitate the purchase of renter's insurance. Carefully review your circumstances and your options with your insurance broker or agent.