Jail Officer Course
The Jail Officer Basic Course should be attended by all jail staff members. The cost is $250. This course is not included in the CEU contract. There is a minimum participation of 10 students required for this course to be offered.
This course not only provides a comprehensive look at jail operations, jail population management, and many jail-related duties and activities for the new officer, but it also provides the experienced officer with procedures for dealing with day-to-day events that may have provided frustration and confusion in the past. In addition, the course provides jail administrators a court-defensible training program, which supplements correspondence courses, in the event of a law suit against jail staff by inmates. Finally, the course provides jail staff with common ground training so that all members will be operating from a common base of knowledge and understanding.
Topics to be Taught Include:
- Constitutional considerations in dealing with inmates’ rights and privileges, and grievance procedures;
- Use of Force in a corrections environment to include forced cell move procedures and practice, dealing with aggressive behavior, disciplinary problems, defensive tactics for jail personnel and jail patrol procedures;
- Psychological disorder recognition and suicide awareness and prevention, Special Need Inmates and ADA;
- Dealing with stress;
- Blood borne pathogens;
- Inmate processing and documentation, to include intake, bond procedures and extradition;
- Jail security procedures to include cell searches, and prisoner transport;
- Response to emergencies, to include: fires, suicide, hostage, natural disaster, and riots.
- Tactical Communications with inmates and other staff members.
Continuing Education Units awarded for the successful completion of this course include:
Legal Studies: 4
Technical Studies: 28
Skill Development: 4
TOTAL CEUs: 40
"Students attending Continuing Education programs sponsored by the Southeast Missouri State University Law Enforcement Academy must attend all of the regular blocks of instruction in order to receive a certificate of completion. In Continuing Education Programs, which consist of discreet blocks of instruction, the student may receive continuing education credits for those blocks which are actually completed."
- Dr. Michael Brown, Director
If you have questions or are interested in attending this or any other Academy training, please call the Academy at (573) 290-5110 for details.