Students who choose the Commercial Photography major will learn how to operate their
own commercial photography studio or work for one, and learn skills to prepare for
other such professions as photo editor, photo re-toucher, photographic assistant,
and other fields of visual communication and applied arts. Students will learn the
principles of digital photography and digital imaging technologies as it relates to
the commercial photography field, including advertising, editorial, portrait, event
Courses will focus on studio and location lighting technologies, proper exposure for
digital images, and post-production including image editing, retouching, and compositing.
Students will learn business skills and creativity skills through this interdisciplinary
program, which includes courses in entrepreneurship, marketing, copyright law, client
relations and creativity. Students will learn new technologies in publication design
and layout for print and web; graphics production and workflow, and photography.
What Will I Study in This Major?
The Commercial Photography degree is designed to provide students with a background
in the technical communication industry. The program emphasizes:
- commercial photography applications
- studio lighting
- location lighting for photography
- the business of commercial photography
- software for editing and manipulating digital images
- digital asset management
- training in various genres of commercial photography
- graphic design
- applications in new technology for digital imaging
In certain instances, specific University Studies courses are required for a degree.
Courses are updated regularly, so be sure to meet with your advisor to design your
In the Commercial Photography degree, students will:
- Learn how to operate a commercial photography business, including issues concerning
image licensing, copyright, specialties in commercial photography, and business promotion
- Be introduced to professional photography equipment, including digital single lens
reflex cameras, studio lighting equipment, and computer software for editing and manipulating
- Be exposed to a dual platform for graphics so you will have experience in both PC
and Macintosh environments.
- Be introduced to communication technologies, philosophy of reproduction choices, methods
of printing, photography and darkroom applications, electronic publishing, presswork,
and other non-print communications.
- Use electronic equipment and software for the preparation of digital images, copy,
including design, editing, printing, and typography.
- Acquire and edit digital images. The digital still camera and its operation are stressed
along with computer image editing software.
- Be introduced to multimedia software, hardware, the integration of text, technical
graphics, and photography
- Be introduced to the digital video camera and video editing suite, and produce videos
for the commercial arena
- Utilize the following software:
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe InDesign
- Adobe Flash
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom
- Adobe Premiere
- Final Cut Pro
- Adobe Acrobat
- Photo Editor
- Photo Retoucher
- Photo Assistant
- Studio Manager