- A match will consist of a best 3-of-5 games.
- Each game will have a 5-minute time limit. If players have not been completely “knocked out” on both teams, the game result will be a tie (ex: Even if a team has a 3-to-1 advantage).
- A team must have at least 4 players to start the game, no more than 6.
- The object of the game is to eliminate all the opposing players by getting them “OUT”. This may be done by:
- Hitting an opposing player with a thrown ball below the shoulders.
- Catching a ball thrown by your opponent before it touches the ground.
- Coin toss will determine choice of side.
- The game begins by distributing the Dodgeballs amongst the teams evenly (3 per team). Players then take a position with everyone behind their respective end line. Each team determines the individuals that start with their team’s Dodgeballs.
- Following a signal by the official, play will begin and teams may attack or lay back.
If at anytime a Dodgeball is caught in mid-air by the initial target, the opposing player is eliminated.
- If you have a teammate currently eliminated when a ball is caught, he/she may re-enter on the “first-out, first-in” rule. Advantage: 2 Player Swing.
- Any Dodgeball that hits the ground, wall or fixed structure before touching an opposing player is ruled dead, and they cannot be eliminated by this ball.
- You can block balls with your ball. However, if you drop the blocking ball while blocking, you are out. Judgment Call by the Official.
- A team that holds all 6 Dodgeballs for 5+ seconds without means to eliminate will result in the official stopping play and evenly distributing the 6 balls amongst the two teams. The team must throw or swiftly roll a ball toward their opponent that crosses the free throw line (Reasoning: A team would place a ball on the opponent’s side of the court).
- A team may attempt a half-court shot at any point during the initial 4 minutes. A successful shot attempt from beyond half-court will reward the team with ALL “knocked-out” players gaining re-entry into the game.
- Once a ball contacts the backboard, rim or any fixed structure, it is ruled dead. Therefore, an opponent cannot catch the ball to eliminate an opponent.
Ending the Match
- The first team to legally eliminate all the opposing players will be declared the winner.
- After 4 minutes, play is halted and players are allowed to attack anywhere within the basketball court. Therefore, there are no longer any court restrictions.
- Winning 3 out of 5 games will win the match for your team.
- Officials will be present during all matches.
- However, due to the speed of the game, rules will additionally be enforced by the “honor system”. Players will be expected to rule whether or not a hit was legal or whether they were legally eliminated.
- An Intramural Supervisor will supervise all contests, and will give thefinal decision when both teams disagree.
- During play, all active players must remain within the boundary lines of the basketball court.
- Players may leave these lines only to retrieve stray balls and before play begins.