Intramural racquetball games are governed by American Amateur Racquetball Association
rules with the following modifications and highlights.
Before the game, the winner of the toss has a choice of serving or receiving first.
Game and Match
- All games are played to 15 points. The first person to reach 15 points (you do not
have to win by two points) wins.
- A match is 2 out of 3 games.
- The person serving in the first game also serves first in the third game.
- Points may be scored only by the player who is serving.
- A player continues to serve until he/ she commits an error. On an error by the server
no points are scored and the receiver becomes the server.
- The server must stand in the service zone and bounce the ball one time before striking
- The ball must strike the front wall before striking any other wall/ceiling/floor.
Failure to do so is an out.
- The server has two tries to legally serve the ball (exceptions: see rule G).
- The person being served to must stand behind the receiving line (5 feet behind the
- The receiver may play the ball either in the air or anytime before the ball hits the
floor a second time.
- A player has two attempts to hit a legal serve.
- A fault serve occurs when: the ball hits the floor on or in front of the short line,
the ball hits both side walls before hitting the floor, or the ball hits the back
wall before hitting the floor (or leaves the court).the ball hits the ceiling.
- A player loses his/her serve immediately when:
- the serve enters into the safety zone (between short & receiving line) before the
ball passes the short line.
- the server fails to hit the front wall first.
- the serve touches the server in mid-air.
- after two successive fault serves.
- Rallies commence with the return of serve.
- The ball can be hit either on the fly or after a bounce.
- Play continues until:
- a player fails to return a ball to the front wall.
- the ball hits the floor twice before it is hit by the opponent.
- a hinder occurs or the ball leaves the court.
- Hinders are stoppages of play and result in replay of the point.
- It is your responsibility to give your opponent enough room to hit the shot they want
- You must also give him/her a straight shot to the front wall as well as the angle
which would result in a crosscourt shot to the opposite back corner.