Students are required to complete 51 hours in the University Studies Program. The major in social work requires 60 hours of course work including 54 hours of Professional Foundation Courses and 6 hours of Major Electives. In addition, students must complete 15 hours of Basic Knowledge and Comprehension Courses.
Required Professional Foundation Courses (54 hours)
- SW 110: Introduction to Social Work (3)
- SW 201: Social and Economic Justice (3)
- SW 207: Understanding Cultural and Social Diversity (3)
- SW 221: Interviewing Skills for Generalist Practice (3)
- SW 222: Case Management (3)
- SW 242: Statistics for Social Scientists (3)
- SW 307: Human Behavior & Social Environment in Social Work I (3)
- SW 308: Human Behavior & Social Environment in Social Work II (3)
- SW 310: Social Welfare Policies and Services (3)
- SW 321: Generalist Practice I (3)
- SW 322: Generalist Practice II (3)
- SW 323: Generalist Practice III (3)
- SW 342: Methods of Social Research in Generalist Practice (3)
- SW 449: Social Work Integrative Seminar (3)
- SW 450: Field Education (12).
Major Electives (6 hours)*
- SW 351: Child Welfare Services (3)
- SW 352: Social Welfare Services to the Aged (3)
- SW 353: Child Development (3)
- SW 354: Crisis Intervention (3)
- SW 355: Special Topics in Social Work (3)
- SW 356: Social Work in Mental Health (3)
- SW 387-389: Independent Study in Social Work (1-3)
*With approval from your academic advisor, one non-social work, 300 or 400 level courses may be substituted as a social work elective.
Basic Knowledge & Comprehensive Course Requirements (15 hours)
- PY101: Psychological Perspectives on Human Behavior (3)
- Economic Systems (3)
- Living Systems (3)
- Political Systems (3)
- Written Expression (3)
The Bachelor of Science degree in Social Work is awarded to students who satisfactorily meet the following requirements:
- Completion of all University graduation requirements listed in the Southeast Missouri State Undergraduate Bulletin.
- Students must achieve a "C" or better in all required social work courses.
- A cumulative GPA of 2.2.5.
- Completion of integrated seminar & field education, i.e., SW 449 with a minimum grade of 'C'.
- Completion of 448 hours of field education, i.e., SW 450 (Credit/No Credit).