Interior designers apply artistic and technical solutions that promote health, safety
and welfare in the building environment. The program offers instruction for students
who wish to practice professional residential or commercial interior design.
Completion of this degree enables graduates to complete two certifications. 1. National
Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA) Because we are accredited by the NKBA, graduates
are eligible to take the certification exam, and they also are exempted from the normal
two-year experience requirement. 2. National Council for Interior Design (NCIDQ Accreditation
by the NCIDQ qualifies students to take the certification exam after two years of
full-time experience with a NCIDQ certificate holder.
Interior Design students will…
- Interact with qualified faculty in a small class environment.
- Be prepared to take the AKBD and NCIDQ national certification exams.
- Have access to an experiential learning lab with iPads, group study workstations,
and access to latest technology and software.
- Have the opportunity to complete work on real design projects with actual clients.
As required by CIDA, the Southeast Missouri State University Interior Design Program
collects and publishes reliable information to the public regarding student achievement,
including aggregate data addressing attrition and retention, graduation rates, job
placement rates, and acceptance into graduate programs.
Attrition and Retention:
- 100% of the incoming students enrolled during the fall 2012 semester returned in spring
2013 resulting in attrition for second-semester at 0%.
- 91% of the incoming students enrolled during the fall 2013 semester returned in spring
2014 resulting in attrition for second-semester at 9%.
- 100% of the Spring 2013 graduates completed their degree within 4 years.
- 100% of the Summer 2013 graduates completed their degree within 4 ½ years.
- 50% of the Fall 2013 graduates completed their degree within 3 ½ years and 50% of
the Fall 2013 graduates completed their degree within 4 ½ years.
Job Placement Rates:
- 100% of the Spring 2013 graduates were employed in the interior design field within
2 months of graduation.
- 100% of the Summer 2013 graduates were employed in the interior design field within
6 months of graduation (33% upon graduation, 33% within one month, 33% within 6 months).
- 100% of the Fall 2013 graduates were employed in the interior design field within
one month of graduation.
Acceptance into Graduate Programs:
- 33% of the Spring 2013 and Summer 2013 graduates applied and were accepted into the
Master of Arts in Human Environmental Studies graduate program at Southeast Missouri
State University. 11% of the Spring 2013 graduates applied and were not accepted to
graduate programs in architecture.
- None of the Summer 2013 or Fall 2013 applied to graduate programs.