Southeast’s social work program is fully accredited by the Council of Social Work Education, assuring the program’s excellence in preparing students for future employment in the field.
Because of the program’s national accreditation, graduates are eligible for membership in the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) and certification in the Academy of Certified Baccalaureate Social Workers (ACBSW). This certification prepares the student for a career as a professional social worker.
The principle educational goal of the social work program is to prepare students for beginning generalist social work practice. The generalist curriculum is grounded in the cardinal social work values of human worth and dignity, social and economic justice, diversity and service. Students acquire the skills, knowledge and ethics necessary for entry-level social work practice or the pursuit of a graduate degree in the field. The final semester is spent in field practicum actually working with clients.
- Completion of 45 semester hours with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.25 overall
- Completion of the following coursework with a minimum grade of ‘C’: SO 102; PY 101; BS/SW 103; SW 110*; SW 201*; SW 207*; SW 221*
- Completion of all developmental courses (if applicable)
- Forty hours of volunteer work in a social service agency (approved by student’s academic advisor.
- Submission of an application to the Department of Social Work
*SW 110, SW 201, SW 207, and SW 221 may NOT be repeated for admission to the social work major without written permission from the chair of the Department of Social Work.
Students will be retained as social work majors providing the following retention criteria are met:
- Completion of the following foundation courses with a minimum grade of ‘C’: SO 242 or PY 271; SW 307; SW 308; SW 310; SW 321; SW 322, SW 323; SW 342
- Maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.25 each semester.
- None of the foundation courses can be retaken more than once without written approval from the chair of the Department of Social Work
In addition to fulfilling all University requirements for graduation social work majors must satisfy the following criteria:
- A cumulative grade point average of 2.25
- Completion of integrated seminar and practicum, i.e., SW 449 with minimum grade of ‘C’
- Completion of a 480-hour practicum, i.e., SW 450 and SW 451 (credit/no credit)