Regional Campus Placement Exams
The English and Math Placement Exams are offered in Kennett, Malden and Sikeston. Registration is available onlinefor each of the three locations. For additional information, please contact the campus directly. Photo ID required for testing.
Southeast Missouri State University uses the ACT English subscore to determine a student’s placement in the appropriate English course. This measurement is an indicator of the student’s language skills and helps to identify the appropriate beginning English course to maximize the student’s chance to be successful.
- An ACT English subscore of 22 or better is required to place into EN100 – English Composition.
- An ACT English subscore of 21 or below places in EN099 – Writing skills Workshop.
- Students entering without ACT scores will be required to take the English Placement exam.
Math Placement Exam
Southeast Missouri State University uses the ACT Math subscore to determine a student’s placement in the appropriate math course. This measurement is an indicator of the student’s math ability and helps to identify the appropriate beginning math course to maximize the student’s chance to be successful.
The following are the ACT score ranges used for course placement:
|ACT Math Subscore||Math Course Placement|
|21 or greater||Student places into any Logical Systems course.|
|15 – 20||Student places into MA101 - Beginning Algebra.|
|0 – 14||Student places into MA050 – Basic Math Skills.|
|No ACT Math subscore||Student places into MA050 - Basic Math Skills.|
Please visit the Department of Mathematics web site for information on the MA101 - Beginning Algebra course or for information about the MA050 - Basic Math Skills course.
Registration, Fees and Location
Students can register to take the COMPASS administered by Testing Services at one of the Regional Campuses in Kennett, Malden or Sikeston.
Test dates are listed in the registration form.
Test takers must use their Student ID number to register.
There is a $20 fee for the exam that will be charged to the student’s account.
Preparing for the Math Placement Test
It is to the student’s advantage to review for the math placement test. Practice questions are available through ACT COMPASS
The math placement test could cover the following areas:
- Numerical skills/pre-algebra
- Beginning algebra/intermediate algebra
- College algebra
- Additional resources are available through Brazosport College.
Test Day: When to Arrive and What to Bring
- Arrive 15 minutes before the test time.
- Bring the printed test confirmation email
- Bring a Photo-ID (i.e., driver’s license, student ID, etc.)
- Have available the test taker’s University ID number (S########) if known
- Calculators are not-permitted; test takers will have access to a built-in calculator
For questions and help with online registration, please call Testing Services at 573-651-2836.
Regional Campus Information
Southeast Missouri State University - Kennett
Southeast Missouri State University - Malden
700 North Douglass
Malden, Missouri 63863