If you need to request special services, please place a paper clip on the top edge
of each envelope and tape a note to the envelope indicating the type of service requested.
(If you are using a sticky note, please tape it on to ensure that it stays with your
- Priority Mail is First-Class Mail weighing more than 11 ounces and, at the mailer's
option, any other mail matter (including regular First-Class Mail) weighing 11 ounces
- Priority Mail rates are based on zone and/or weight.
- Priority Mail envelopes or PAKS are available through Mail Services at no charge.
Certified Mail / Return Receipt Requested
- Certified Mail provides a receipt to the sender and a record of delivery at the post
office of the addressee.
- No record is kept at the post office from which the piece is mailed and no insurance
coverage is provided.
- Certified Mail is only available on First-Class Mail.
- Return receipts furnish the mailer with proof of delivery.
- The return receipt is mailed by the post office of the addressee to the sender after
the article has been delivered to the addressee.
- For an additional fee, you may request restricted delivery, which allows only the
addressee to sign for that piece of mail.
- Departments are responsible for filling out proper forms. Forms are available through
University Mail Services.
Signature Confirmation Receipt
- Signature Confirmation Receipt provides confirmation of delivery/attempted delivery
date upon inquiry, provides copy of recipient signature via fax or mail upon request
and is only available with Priority Mail and Package Services (Parcel Post, Bound
Printed Matter, Media Mail, Library).
- No insurance coverage is provided. If indemnity coverage is desired, consider Insured
Mail, Registered Mail, or other special service that provides coverage.
- Postage and Signature Confirmation fees must be paid before mailing.
- For inquiries, access USPS.com or call 1-800-222-1811.
- Insured Mail provides indemnity coverage for an article which is lost or damaged.
- For an additional fee, return receipt and restricted delivery are also available on
This rate is primarily for libraries; however, there are exceptions to this rule.
Check with Mail Services to see if this rate is applicable or if another rate would
best serve your needs.
Library Rate is for Domestic Mail Only.
- All International mail MUST be in envelopes. Post card rates are the same as letter
- Proper addressing of the envelope is necessary to eliminate delays.
- The U.S. Postal Service requires that the destination country be spelled out in full,
in English. Abbreviations are not acceptable.
- When shipping to Int'l countries, custom forms are required. The contents of the package
must be identified with information regarding the value. Many countries have restrictions
on what may be received.
- Packages with contents improperly identified will be sent back to the shipper.
- Mail Services suggests that a label be placed inside the package in case the outside
label should come off. The enclosed label should include the sender's address as well
as that of the addressee.
- Separate international mail from domestic mail.
- International mail requires additional postage, so it needs to be flagged by putting
a paper clip on the top edge of the envelope to indicate special handling.
- If you have several pieces of Int'l mail, rubber band them together and place a paper
clip on the top piece of mail.
- Weight limitations vary by country.
- Contact Mail Services at 651-2953 for Required Forms and further information.
Business Reply Mail
- Using Business Reply Mail (BRM) allows you to pay only for responses returned from
- If they use your BRM pieces, you pay the single-piece First-Class rate and a per-piece
- Please include your index number and mail stop code on all BRM sent out.
- Express mail is a premium service offered through the U.S. Postal Service with next
day guaranteed delivery to many destinations.
- Items to be sent to some areas must be at the post office before 2:30 p.m. and others
before 4:30 p.m. Remember, however, that Mail Services needs time to process your
mail before delivery to the local post office.
- See the section on Outgoing Express Packages for more information on these types of
Standard Mail A (formerly 'Third-Class Bulk Mail')
- When 200 or more pieces of the same size and weight are mailed together, standard mail is substantially cheaper than first class.
- International Mail cannot be included in standard mailings.
- Standard mail must be kept separated from other mail and identified as such. Please
include a Bulk/Permit Mail Service Request form with your mailing. These forms are
available at Mail Services or may be downloaded here.
- Standard mail must be in zip code order. When ordering labels, request "bulk order".
These labels can be sent electronically to Mail Services for addressing. If pressure
sensitive labels are ordered and affixed by the department, they MUST be kept in zip
code order. Mail Services will return mailings that are not in zip code order.
- A complete return address must be on each piece of a bulk mailing and MUST include:
- Southeast Missouri State University
One University Plaza
Cape Girardeau MO 63701-4799
- The minimum size of a bulk mail piece is 5" in length and 3 1/2" in height, however
it is requested that postcards or flyers be no smaller that 6" X 4". The larger size
feeds better through labeling and metering equipment. Inserts should be identical
and may not contain commercial advertising.
- Contact Mail Services in advance of your mailing to have any questions answered--it
could save time and money.
- Pre-printed permits on mailings of 200 or more identical pieces eliminates the metering
process. Requirements for pre-printed permit use are:
- Minimum number of pieces is 200.
- Pieces must be identical.
- Minimum size is 5" long and 3 1/2" high.
- Must be in zip code order.
- Must be separated from other mail and clearly marked. (Please include bulk mail service
- Mailing must include Index number.
- Mail Services must process all permit mailings. The post office will return all mailings
to Mail Services that are dropped off at the post office by departments without proper
paperwork and processing.
- If a mailing is pre-printed with a permit and fewer than 200 pieces are to be mailed,
the permit must be covered with a white label so that regular postage may be applied.
- To assist departments in processing mailings, Mail Services will address electronic
- Faculty/Staff labels must be ordered from Human Resources. All other labels must be
ordered through Information Technology.
- If there are any questions, please call.
- Address information required for on-campus delivery is the name of the person or department
and the mail stop code. The mail stop code is essential.
- Large campus mailings will be electronically labeled by Mail Services. When these
labels are ordered, they should be requested in "mail stop order."
- When labels are ordered for mailings to students, they must be requested grouped by
- If your department labels your campus mailing, it must be sorted in mail stop order.
- When you plan a large campus mailing, please contact Mail Services so we may answer
your questions and schedule the mailing. Otherwise, the mailings are on a first-come,
- If your department is moving, please send a complete list of employees making the
move to Mail Services, MS 4850. Include the department name, estimated moving date,
new location, and room numbers. Some departmental moves will require a new mailstop
code. The new code will be assigned and the list of employees will be forwarded to
the Human Resources office with the new mailstop code. This will minimize delays in
deliveries to your department.
Mail Pick-Up and Delivery
- 9:45 Pick up mail from U.S. Postal Service
1:00 Deliver mail to Campus
3:00 Pick up at Kent Library by Director's office (2:30 during Summer and Holiday
3:15 Pick up at Memorial Hall (2:15 during Summer and Holiday Hours)
3:30 Pick up at Dempster Hall (2:30 during Summer and Holiday Hours)
4:00 Mail delivered to U.S. Postal Service (3:30 during Summer and Holiday Hours)
- "Express" packages are delivered starting at 10:30 a.m. Regular Ground packages are
delivered in the afternoon.
- All inquiries by departments must include tracking number. Regular mail items will
not have tracking numbers
- Departmental Barcode INDEX# label
Name or Department, Mail Stop Code
Southeast Missouri State University
One University Plaza
Cape Girardeau, MO 63701-4799
- Addresses should be machine-printed, with a uniform left margin, and include the street
designators (BLVD, DR), directionals (N, E, NE), the apartment, suite, or room number,
and (if possible) a ZIP + 4 CODE.
- Addresses are preferred in all upper- case letters with punctuation omitted.
- Preferred Format
- ATTN specific person, dept.
RECIPIENT business or individual name
DELIVERY ADDRESS street, PO box, apt., suite #
CITY STATE ZIP if all 3 cannot fit, place Zip on the next line, aligned left
- When using University letterhead envelopes, the departmental bar code (Index number)
should be placed in the upper left-hand corner. Mail Services will provide these labels
- If you are sending a bundle of mail, the bar code only needs to be on the top piece
in the bundle. Please make sure all pieces of mail are secured together with a rubber
- Using the correct format will ensure that postage charges will be made to the proper
- If a department's Index number does not appear on the envelope, Mail Services may
have to open the envelope to determine the department to be charged. This will delay
- If you need more bar code labels, use a re-order form or call Mail Services at 651-2953.
- The following minimum size standards apply to First-Class Mail:
- Pieces must be at least 0.007 inches thick (index cards are acceptable).
- All pieces which are 1/4 inch thick or less must be:
- rectangular in shape (horizontal format)
- at least 3 1/2 inches high
- at least 5 inches long
- The placement of the address on first class mail establishes which dimensions are
the height and length. The length is the dimension parallel to the address as read.
If the address is placed incorrectly the piece may not be mail able and will be returned
to the sender.
- Incorrect placement of the address, or use of a larger envelope weighing 1 once or
less, will result in a surcharge.
- Please do not use staples. If the piece of mail is not in an envelope, tape the corners.
- Please seal all thick envelopes to avoid losing items.