Sometimes it’s better to be safe than sorry, and we’ve spent a lot of time with this system. Here’s a list of things you might see while editing in RedDot and you should ask us for help fixing before you spend too much time trying to figure it out on your own.
- I want to add a new page to my site – Depending on where this new page goes, you should talk to us about it. It might be a section, like your News section or a list of Faculty profiles, where you are able to add pages easily. It might be a section where Web Design & Support needs to add it for you. Talk to us and we’ll help get it set up.
- I don’t know why “X” isn’t working anymore – With a system as complex as RedDot…and the simple fact that it has to do with computers at all…there are bound to be bugs and issues come up that throw you for a loop from time to time. Before you spend too much time trying to figure out what’s wrong, don’t hesitate to give us a call and ask us. It might be something we’ve seen before and can help you work out. It might also be a new bug we need to pass on to the system’s developers. In either case, the sooner that you talk to us the more likely it is that we can help save you some time and get your problem fixed quickly.
- An image won’t show up even after I have added it – Sometimes editors will add an image and forget to add the alternate text that accompanies it. If the alternate text is missing, the image will not show up on some pages. To learn more about adding an image and alternate text, check out our add image tutorial.
- The page looks weird. All the colors are off and the fonts are wrong – Occasionally there will be a bug in the way a page publishes and it will publish without its associated styles that define things like font size and color. If this happens, let us know and we will fix it for you.
- There’s a page with a really weird name (like GUID13541…) in my workflow – This happens whenever an editor creates a page and then does not assign it a headline. You can give it a headline by clicking on its name in your drafts folder. You will then be taken to the page with the headline red dot and you can edit it there.
If you created the page by accident you can change the headline to “Delete this” and submit it through workflow. Web Design & Support will delete it for you.