Asset Manager & Media Galleries
The Asset Manager holds all of the media available for Southeast web editors including images, PDFs, and documents of various other formats. To access the Asset Manager, click the Asset Manager tab located just to the right of the SmartEdit tab. This module is also automatically opened each time you attempt to link content or embed an image from the text editor.
- Click the Forward/Previous links to cycle through the currently displayed page of content.
- Click the ‘List’ or ‘Thumbnail’ links near the top to change the display style for the gallery.
- Click the thumbnail of a file to open a preview in a separate window.
- Click the name of a file to view information about that file.
- If you are accessed the Asset Manager as part of the process for linking to a file or inserting an image, click the OK button after selecting a file to use that file to the current action.
- Files from all departments are loaded into the two main galleries, resulting in multiple pages of content and thousands of files. To refine the results displayed in the asset manager to only those files you want to see, use the search field.
Search Query Tips
All media to be placed into the Asset Manager should be submitted through the Web Q and processed by someone in the Office of Web Design & Support in order to ensure adherence to the defined naming convention. Files are named according to a standard in order to streamline navigation in the Asset Manager.
Each file is named by beginning with the department prefix, followed by a description of the image or document, and for images the year upload is appended to the end. Understanding the naming convention will make it easy to access the content you are looking for.
Using Wildcard Characters
The asterisk character (*) acts as a ‘wildcard’ in the search field, meaning it can represent any string of characters. You can use this in combination with portions of the file name such as the department prefix to locate files with similar names. The search is verbatim, so searching without using wildcards requires the exact file name, including file extension. (.jpg, .pdf, etc.)
Search query: art*
Returns all file names that begin with ‘art’ and end with any other string of characters.
Search query: art*pdf
Returns all file names that begin with 'art' and end with the ‘pdf’ extension.
Search query: art*faculty*
Returns all file names that begin with 'art', and have the word ‘faculty’ afterwards at some point.
- Search query: *art*
Returns all file names that contain any string of characters on either side of the term 'art'.