Incoming students at Southeast are placed into the English composition sequence through a variety of means:
- Students who transfer credit for EN140 are exempted from the composition sequence; however, they are strongly urged to contact the Center for Writing Excellence in order to take WP002 before taking WP003.
- Students who transfer credit for EN100 are placed into EN140.
- Students who have an ACT English subscore of 22 or above at the time of orientation are placed into EN100.
- All other students must take WP001 during First STEP Orientation.
Information for English Placement
Southeast Missouri State University uses the ACT English subscore to determine a student's placement in the appropriate English course. This measurement is an indicator of the student's language skills and helps to identify the appropriate beginning English course to maximize the student's chance to be successful.
|ACT English Subscore||English Course Placement|
|22 or greater||Student places into EN100 - English Composition|
|21 or below||Student places into EN099 - Writing Skills Workshop|
Students entering without ACT scores will be required to take the English placement exam. English placement information is available at the Center for Writing Excellence. Visit Writing Proficiency Exams for more information on the English placement exam.
Cape Girardeau campus students will complete the English placement exam during First STEP orientation. Please refer to New Student Programs - First STEP Orientation for orientaion dates and placement exam schedule.
Regional Campus placement exams are administered in Kennett, Malden, and Sikeston. Please refer to the Regional Campus Placement Exams listing for the English placement exam schedule. For additional information, please contact testing services directly.
To ensure correct placement of students, an additional 50-minute writing sample is taken during the first week of classes by instructors in EN099. Students who excel on the sample exam are brought to the attention of the director of the Center of Writing Excellence, who makes a final decision regarding the student's placement. Fewer than 0.5% of incoming students each year are moved to a new class on the basis of this writing sample.
In addition, the following incoming students have the opportunity to earn retroactive credit for EN100 and to be placed into EN140:
- Students who have an ACT English subscore of 25 or above at the time of orientation are invited to sit for WP004: The EN100 Equivalency Examination
- Students who score a 5.0 or above on WP001 are invited to sit for WP004
- Students who are awarded a Governor's, Regents', or President's scholarship may submit a portfolio in place of taking WP004