See the latest updates and information regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, including
a list of University contact information at semo.edu/covid19.
Employee Resource Groups: also known as ERGs, affinity groups, or business network groups) are groups of
employees who join together in their workplace based on shared characteristics or
life experiences. ERG's are generally based on providing support, enhancing career
development, and contributing to personal development in the work environment.
The Benefits of ERGs:
- A way to secure, harness, and sustain the full engagement and passion of all employees
- Provides a forum for employees to discuss and address issues within the group which
may not necessarily come to light otherwise.
- Can provide an opportunity for community engagement and outreach
- Can provide a venue for employees to be themselves and discuss issues and areas of
concern which may be holding them back from progressing within the organization.
- Can serve as a forum to develop “unofficial” mentorships or sponsorship opportunities.
- A way for people to engage in leadership development by serving as an officer or a
member of the executive committee.
- Membership and participation can be utilized by the organization as an investment
in the professional development of employees’ if it is tracked and sanctioned by the
University as a supported University organization.