See the latest updates and information regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, including
a list of University contact information at semo.edu/covid19.
Begin MARCH 18
Next session begins
It's Your Future. You Should Get to Design the Degree
Pursue Your Passion
A degree in interdisciplinary studies from Southeast means you get to tailor what
you study to match what you want to do in your career.
It's 100% online, so you study on your schedule without ever having to come to campus.
Plus, our same award-winning faculty who teach on campus teach online.
Skills That Matter
Employers say the skills most sought after are communication, critical thinking, and
problem-solving--all things you can learn with an interdisciplinary studies degree.
Those skills, coupled with the areas of focus you choose, mean you're a confident,
competent job candidate.
Download Program Info
The numbers tell the story…
per credit hour
department graduates employed or in grad school
- Customizable degree
- 18+ areas to select from
- Options in child development, economics, ESL, math, and more
- Award-winning advising and coaching team
- Year-round classes to reduce time to degree
We let our graduates do the talking...
"Southeast allowed me to create an interdisciplinary studies major with concentrations
in graphic design and mass communications that provided the hybrid education I needed."Jessica Powell, '93, Interdisciplinary Studies, VP of Marketing & Brand Strategy at
Our Alumni Go Places.
Business. Engineering and Technology. Mass Media. Psychology. Just a few of the options
available to help you design your education for the career you want.
Below are just a few examples of the companies who hire graduates from the College
of Humanities and Social Science at Southeast Missouri State.
- Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA)
- Enterprise Holdings
- Guin, Mundorf LLC
- Missouri Botanical Gardens
- Missouri Court of Appeals
- Missouri History Museum
- Missouri House of Representatives
- Missouri Recovery Network
- Missouri State Highway Patrol
- National Transportation Safety Board
- Nestle Purina
- Redwood Logistics
- Sherwin Williams
- State of Missouri
- St. Louis Art Museum
- The Center for Youth and Family
- United States Air Force
- United States Department of Forestry
- United States Department of State
- United States Peace Corps
- United States Secret Service
The interdiscplinary studies degree is customized to your interests, so you're career-ready
for the job you want. You select two to four concentrations based on the fields you're
interested in, so they can complement the skills you'll need. You'll gain college-level
skills to be ready for a variety of careers or graduate schools.
- Have less than 75 credit hours, create and submit an individual study plan with the
help of our Online advising team.
View full requirements
- OS 200. Survey of Social Science.
Survey of the origins, development, and practice of social science in the disciplines
of history, political science, economics, sociology, anthropology, psychology, and
- SC 107. Oral Online Presentations.
A course that adapts principles of effective public speaking to the online environment
and evaluates students' application of those principles.. (3)
- LI 211. World Literature I
Survey of significant literary voices from throughout the globe. (3)
View all courses
- "My teaching philosophy emphasizes the importance of applicability. Through lecture-based
storytelling, small-group interaction, and online journaling and discussion forums,
I emphasize and reinforce the notion that history matters."
—Dr. Adam Criblez
Associate Professor, Center for Regional History Director
View all faculty
Why Wait? Start Today.