See the latest updates and information regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, including
a list of University contact information at semo.edu/covid19.
Begin MARCH 18
Next session begins
Take the next step in your career on your timeline.
Focused On Your Future
In an increasingly multi-lingual world, classes need teachers who can teach English
to other language speakers. You can advance your career with a master's degree focused
on helping you become a better leader in the classroom.
Quality, Accredited University
Our program is taught by experienced faculty. You'll design a program of language
instruction and learn to revise, adapt, and assess it.
Download Program Info
The numbers tell the story…
per credit hour
department graduates employed or in grad school
- Certificate option available
- Connections with international organizations
- No prerequisites needed
- Faculty mentors
- Courses reviewed with Quality Matters
We let our graduates do the talking...
"Because Southeast began as a teachers’ college, attending Southeast was also special
to me — I am proud to be an educator who graduated from a University that prides itself
in top-notch education and producing top-notch educators!"Erica Robbins '05, Cenet Culture Exchange Network and Culture in the Classroom participant
Our Alumni Go Places.
ESL Instructors. International Educators. International Program Coordinators. Just
a few of the exciting careers where our online MA TESOL grads are succeeding.
Below are just a few examples of the companies who hire graduates from the College
of Education, Health and Human Studies at Southeast Missouri State.
- AB Spectrum
- Baltimore Ravens
- BJC HealthCare
- Bootheel Counseling Services
- Coastal Orthopedics
- Cardinal Glennon
- Community Counseling Center
- Jumpstart Autism Center
- Kedrion Biopharma
- Mayo Clinic
- Mercy Hospital
- Missouri Baptist Medical Center
- New Vision Counseling
- Saint Francis Healthcare System
- School Districts Across the Country
- SSM Health
- Thrive Autism Solutions
- Walt Disney World
The Master of Arts in TESOL program is designed to train professionals to teach people
who are learning to speak English as another language. The program attracts both domestic
and international students from many countries.
- In addition to the criteria established for general admission to the Graduate Studies,
applicants must have an undergraduate grade point average of 2.5 on a 4 point scale
View full requirements
- TL530: Practicum in TESOL. Practical classroom experience in teaching ESOL.
- TL620: Approaches to the Teaching of Grammar- Structural, transformational, and traditional
approaches to the teaching of grammar.
- TL630: Special Problems in TESOL- Seminar focusing on current issues in TESOL.
View all courses
- Dr. Missy Nieveen Phegley is an accomplished, published professor with work featured
in Class and the Composition Classroom as well as Cave Region Review.
View all faculty
Why Wait? Start Today.