The Masters of Arts in Teaching (MAT) - Exceptional Child program is designed for
those that do not have a degree in education or a teaching certificate. The program offers cohesive online graduate-level coursework and supervised field
experiences in special education content and pedagogy with two options for certification:
- Early Childhood Special Education (birth-third grade)
- Mild/Moderate and Cross-Categorical (K-12th grade).
- Coursework is offered with online faculty support through advising, mentorship, and
- Teachers will integrate experiential learning with high-quality technology to enhance
- Additionally, graduates with this degree receive education that aligns with state
mandates and brings them to a higher pay scale.
Early Childhood Special Education Certification: Passing Score of 064 on the Early Childhood Education MO Content Assessment
Mild/Moderate Cross Categorical Certification: Passing Scores of 007-010 in 4 subtests on the Elementary Education Multi-Content
- 2.75 Cumulative Undergraduate GPA
- Completion of Missouri Education Profile (MEP)
- PY120 The Child or PY222 Adolescent Development or PY521 Advanced Child Development (or equivalent course)
- EX390 Psychology and Education of the Exceptional Child or EX 635 Psychology and Education of Children with Special Needs (or equivalent course)